It’s a tender, buttery, moist, flavor-packed keto coffee cake. This cake features a generous cinnamon streusel topping and it’s easy to make. What more can you ask of a keto cake?
My keto sour cream cinnamon coffee cake is all about the streusel topping. Because in my humble opinion, a well-constructed coffee cake should feature a lot of rich streusel crumb topping.
Not enough cinnamon crumb topping and this girl feels seriously deprived. Who’s with me on this?
I mean isn’t the best part of coffee cake the topping?
Just because you’re doing a ketogenic diet doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a delicious coffee cake. I am confident that my keto cinnamon coffee cake will keep you safely in ketosis and while avoiding the carbs in regular coffee cake.
By the way, I have a complete list of Keto Cakes that any cake lover doing keto would enjoy exploring.
Keto Sour Cream Coffee Cake
You may have tried my first low carb coffee cake recipe and therefore be wondering why I felt the need to create another. Especially since I raved about my first one so much.
Well, that’s because this almond flour sour cream coffee cake may be similar to my low carb one, but this one is sour cream based and makes it just a little more traditional.
The biggest difference in using sour cream in a coffee cake is that it really gives it a nice tender crumb and the slight tanginess of the sour cream really compliments the overall flavor of this type of cake.
The sour cream addition makes for a really moist melt in your mouth low carb coffee cake recipe. And that my friend is a win in this coffee cake lover’s heart.
Plus, most coffee cakes use sour cream to give it added richness. And maybe, just maybe I wanted an excuse to come up with another coffee cake recipe.
Can you fault me for this? One of the perks of recipe creation is that I get to test them for you. It’s a tough job but someone needs to do it.
Easy Keto Coffee Cake
Coffee cakes are usually enjoyed at breakfast, but who says that’s not a rule that can’t be broken? As far as I am concerned, this keto coffee cake would be a lovely addition after any meal and should be the star of any holiday table.
A keto streusel coffee cake should go hand in hand with a nice big mug of coffee. Not that other cakes can’t too but coffee cake was named for this very reason.
Thankfully this is an easy keto coffee cake and one you can make and serve any time of day or year.
Is There Coffee In Coffee Cake?
Let me just clarify this point for you. You see there is actually zero, nada, coffee in coffee cake. It’s simply referring to the fact that it goes so well with coffee.
The way I see it there was some lovely grandma in Germany who wanted to create a cake for her family that would accompany their coffee ritual and tada! The coffee cake recipe was birthed.
Keto Streusel Topping
Can we talk a little bit more about the keto crumb topping of this coffee cake? You see this cinnamon keto cake star feature, is the buttery, crisp streusel top layer. And it’s why I add a lot of streusel to this cake.
The first coffee cakes are thought to have their origins in Germany, hence my little grandma comment earlier. And the word streusel just means to mix quickly together. It comes from the word streuen or to strew.
And it refers to a sweet topping that is usually made up of sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter. It’s kinda a big deal in a coffee cake.
But I completely understand if that’s not you. In which case feel free to make half of what the recipe calls for. I won’t be offended I promise if you choose to add less topping to this coffee cake.
How To Make A Keto Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I have a few tips you will want to keep in mind when making this keto sour cream coffee cake. After all, you want your coffee cake to be amazing enough for everyone in your family to enjoy including those who are not doing keto.
- When making this keto coffee cake I recommend that all your ingredients be at room temperature. Doing so will allow your batter to blend easily and ensure that your coffee cake is moist.
- As I said, the streusel topping is quite generous so keep this in mind. Some people may rather have less streusel on their coffee cake and if that’s you, then half the streusel topping recipe is enough. As a bonus, this will shave off 2 additional carbs.
- If you do make the recipe as called for, I suggest you gently tap the streusel topping into the batter before baking so that your coffee cake doesn’t fall apart.
- I made my coffee cake in a round 10-inch springform pan. However, you can also bake it in a 10X10 inch square pan too.
- For more flavor options add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, pecans, or walnuts. This will give the coffee cake a little extra crunch.
- Top your coffee cake with 2 tablespoons of your favorite sugar-substitute confectioner’s sugar just for fun. This is totally optional.
How To Store Keto Coffee Cake
Because of the many fresh ingredients in keto baked goods you generally always want to refrigerate any leftovers.
Your keto coffee cake will stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to one week in an airtight container. It can also be frozen easily.
Yes, coffee cake can be frozen but in the case of this keto sour cream coffee cake, you want to make sure you allow your cake to fully cool and then tightly wrap it with plastic wrap and then a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.
Your low carb coffee cake can be frozen up to 1 month for best flavors but can be frozen up to 3 months with no safety issue.
Then simply allow your keto coffee cake to thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Alternatively, you can freeze your coffee cake already sliced for added convenience.
For More Keto Coffee Cakes, Check Out:
- Low Carb Coffee Cake Recipe
- Keto Pumpkin Streusel Cupcakes
- Keto Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
- Keto Pumpkin Coconut Flour Coffee Cake
You see I told you I really loved coffee cake. I really hope you see that it’s my desire to give you easy low carb, keto recipes that make this lifestyle easier.
It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes for you.
Do also check out our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Perhaps, you’ve struggled to get into ketosis consistently on your low carb keto diet, or you’ve hit a plateau that doesn’t seem to budge, consider using Perfect KETO’s exogenous ketones.
By using exogenous ketones you will naturally elevate your ketones allowing you to enter into ketosis more quickly.
Being at a deeper level of ketosis will help reduce your appetite, carb cravings, and give you lasting energy. It’s been our experience that the use of exogenous ketones helps make the low carb keto lifestyle a viable sustainable option.
Honestly, it’s like having willpower in a cup. Learn more about the science behind both exogenous and endogenous ketones and have your questions answered from a doctor’s perspective.
Wondering which foods you should avoid when doing Keto? This Keto Food Guide will assist you in doing the Keto Diet correctly.
Use this link and get a 20% off discount when you place your order for any of Perfect Keto’s products. The discount will be added automatically at checkout.
Keto Coffee Cake
- 2 cups of almond flour finely milled
- 1 ¼ cup of sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter cooled
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 eggs
Keto Streusel Topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch spring-form cake pan.
- Make the Streusel Topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar substitute, almond flour, coconut flour, pecan nuts, salt and cinnamon. To the dry ingredients add I thinly sliced cold butter and cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Cake Batter: In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, sugar substitute, spices, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt.
- In a small bowl, stir the cooled melted butter, sour cream, and eggs until they are well combined.
- Fold the butter and sour cream mixture into the batter dry ingredients. Mix until well incorporated. Spread the batter into the 10 inch spring-form pan and sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake.
- Gently tap the streusel crumb topping into the batter of cake.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the crumbs are lightly browned and until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of sugar free confectioner's sugar-subtititue (optional)
Reduce the crumb topping to half the recipe if you prefer less of streusel topping .
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 283 Total Fat: 28.5g Saturated Fat: 9.9g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 55mg Sodium: 95mg Carbohydrates: 7.1g Fiber: 3.1g Sugar: 1.9g Protein: 5.9g