Oh, keto strawberry rhubarb pie how I love thee. If you are a lover of the combination of rhubarb and strawberry and looking for a low carb option you are in for a real treat with the delicious recipe.
This keto pie is brimming with sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb and has the flakiest keto crust making it swoon-worthy. It’s no wonder that it’s my absolute favorite seasonal pie!
If you’ve been searching for the perfect way to enjoy rhubarb while doing keto, this low carb strawberry rhubarb pie recipe should be at the top of your list.
I already have a couple of keto rhubarb recipes that are well-loved including a keto strawberry rhubarb crumble and my keto strawberry scones both are simply divine and you certainly should also check out.
Truth is I look forward to rhubarb season every year so that I can create more keto rhubarb recipes.
But it was high time I made a keto-friendly strawberry rhubarb pie since it’s probably my favorite of all pie flavors and because the keto community shouldn’t be denied this classic recipe.
Don’t forget to also check out my other keto pie recipes that include traditional pies, tarts, and cobblers!
Keto Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
I am so thrilled to finally be able to share a keto rhubarb and strawberry pie that has the potential to revival its high carb counterpart.
If you are a fan of this seasonal combo, you are going to be very pleased with this keto-friendly recipe.
Strawberries balance the tartness of rhubarb in this keto pie recipe perfectly. The best part is that can be served at room temperature or cold for a delightful keto strawberry rhubarb dessert.
Wondering how many carbs are in regular strawberry rhubarb pie? Well, a traditional one has on average 44 net carbs. That my friend means its a no go on a keto diet.
However, the good news is that this low carb rhubarb-strawberry pie has only 6.5 carbs per generous serving. This means that with a little macro planning you can enjoy this rhubarb dessert while doing keto.
A 1/2 cup serving of rhubarb contains about 1.7 net grams of carbs making it low carb.
Low Carb Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
As far as sourcing rhubarb for this pie, if you happen to live in a colder northern climate, you know it can be easily found in the local grocery store.
In fact, many people even grow rhubarb and usually find themselves with enough rhubarb to share. All I can say about that is I hope you realize how very blessed you are.
Here in South Florida, fresh rhubarb isn’t as easily available. Thankfully, it can be found frozen in some grocery stores, thank you Publix.
The good news is that this recipe has been adapted to be able to use both fresh or frozen rhubarb making it possible for more people to enjoy.
How to Make Keto Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
If you are not familiar with cooking or baking rhubarb, it’s pretty straightforward. If using fresh rhubarb be sure to remove the leaves since they are toxic.
After you wash the stalks slice the rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. If you are using frozen rhubarb they are already sliced and do not need to be thawed before using.
The following are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Almond Flour or Sunflower Seed Flour for a nut-free option
- Coconut Flour
- Unsalted Butter
- Eggs, room temperature
- Melted Mozzarella Cheese
- Granulated sugar substitute
- Psyllium husk powder
- Vanilla extract
How To Thicken The Filling
I used 3 cups of rhubarb and 3 cups of strawberries in this recipe because I wanted to ensure it produced a nice tart pie, just how I like it.
If you have ever made a strawberry rhubarb pie you know that the filling can produce a lot of liquid when baked. It’s the only downside.
To avoid this make sure when combining the filling ingredients that you leave the extra liquid behind in the bowl.
Some pies use pectin, flour, or cornstarch to thicken their pie fillings but none of those options are keto-friendly. I discovered that a tiny amount of psyllium husk powder does the same thing to ensure that the pie isn’t runny.
To thicken the strawberry rhubarb filling simply sprinkle a teaspoon of the psyllium husk powder over the strawberries, rhubarb filling.
It’s important to note that the filling will thicken as it cools. This is why straight out of the oven the filling will still be a little loose and why it’s crucial to let the pie cool to room temperature before slicing.
Crust For Keto Pie
Up till now, I have only been raving about the filling and I haven’t even mentioned the amazing crust that beautifully encloses this pie.
But trust me when I tell you that having a flaky buttery keto pie crust is essential in this recipe. I used my pie crust recipe because it’s one I have perfected.
Not only does it have the texture we all expect but this pie crust rolls beautifully and is not temperamental. An issue you find with most due to the lack of gluten.
But this girl managed to crack the code for you with this crust.
The keto-friendly crust for this pie uses both coconut and almond flour. But no need to worry because I have also tested the use of sunflower seed flour in place of almond flour and it also works beautifully creating a nut-free option if you need it.
The pie dough also uses melted mozzarella cheese it’s the secret ingredient that makes this pastry roll out like a traditional crust recipe.
Once the dough is kneaded it is then divided in half, wrapped in parchment or cling wrap, and allowed to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
After the pastry is chilled, you can roll the dough easily between two parchment sheets of paper. After it’s been rolled out I place it back in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes.
Then it’s just a matter of adding the bottom crust to your pie dish, adding the filling on top, and then enclosing the pie with the top crust and baking.
I sure hope you will give this keto rhubarb pie a try and will help us share it. If you give it a try, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
If there is one thing I particularly proud of sharing it’s how we combined our Christian faith with the keto diet.
In case you don’t know, Randy and I came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our entire lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
Randy had been a diabetic for over 15 years and he was dealing with the consequences of this disease. I was a survivor of the Guillan Barre Syndrome and was fighting fibromyalgia and chronic sciatica.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting to we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. I love how supportive and encouraging this group of believers is. It’s exciting to see how people are transforming their lives by combining this lifestyle with the Christian faith.
The testimonies coming out of our Fittoservegroup is what motivates us to continue to share what we’ve learned.
We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Get Our Perfect Keto Hack Tip!
Of course, arming yourself with keto recipes like this keto strawberry rhubarb pie is certainly key in doing this diet long enough to see the many benefits. But even with the best low carb ketogenic recipes sometimes additional help is needed.
With this in mind, we also encourage you to have the right supplements to help you get and stay in ketosis. Because when you have the right tools the keto diet becomes easier.
Perhaps you’ve struggled to get into ketosis consistently on your low carb keto diet, or you’ve hit a plateau that doesn’t seem to budge, consider using Perfect KETO’s bundle to assist you. It’s a great way to see the benefits sooner rather than later.
You’ll learn how to elevate your ketones naturally enter into ketosis more quickly. Being at a deeper level of ketosis will help reduce your appetite, carb cravings, and give you lasting energy. These are the things you want to see happen as they make this diet sustainable and it’s why we recommend them.
Perfect Keto has offered our readers a 15% discount on their products. Simply use this link for all qualifying products and the code FITTOSERVE at checkout.
Keto Pie Crust
- 1 cup of unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of almond flour measured and sifted
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, melted
Keto Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Filling
- 3 cups of sliced rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 cups of fresh strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar-substitute 2
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter cut into small pieces to dot the pie filling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the coconut flour and the almond flour and salt. Note if making the nut-free option use sunflower seed flour in place of the almond flour and set aside.
- Melt the unsalted butter and set aside.
- To the dry ingredients add the melted butter and combine quickly.
- Next, add the two whole eggs and combine.
- Melt the mozzarella cheese in the microwave using 30-second intervals, mixing in between until fully melted but not crispy. This should take about 3 rounds in the microwave depending on the power of your microwave.
- Once it comes out of the microwave mix well until fully incorporated. You can also melt the mozzarella cheese in a double boiler.
- Add the melted mozzarella cheese to the mixture and knead the dough with your hands until all the cheese is blended well into the pie dough. I recommend you do so between two sheets of parchment paper so that the dough doesn't stick to your hands. Alternatively, you can use a stand-up mixer with the dough hook.
- Once the dough forms divide the dough in half to make the top and bottom of the pie crust.
- Place the pastry dough in the refrigerator to rest the dough and allow the dough to chill. This will make it easier to work with and will produce the flakiest crust.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper for both the top and bottom of the crust and place back into the refrigerator for another 15 minutes to cool again and make it easier to work with the dough
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Transfer one rolled crust into a 9-inch pie pan. Being careful to smooth any cracks.
- Fill the pie with strawberry rhubarb filling and dot the pie with sliced butter.
- Add the top crust and make 5-6 slits to the top of the pie to let the steam vent as it cooks.
- Bake the pie until the topping is lightly brown around 35-40 minutes.
Keto Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Filling
- In a large bowl combine the sliced rhubarb, strawberries, sugar substitute, and vanilla extract.
- Next, sprinkle the salt and psyllium husk powder and combine well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 16.5gSaturated Fat: 7.4gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 89mgCarbohydrates: 11.6gNet Carbohydrates: 6.5gFiber: 5.1gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 5.3g