This recipe for keto cauliflower mash is sure to fool your taste buds into thinking you are having mashed potatoes. It’s a recipe for a creamy, cheesy, garlicky, low carb cauliflower mash that will be a great replacement for regular white potato mash.
My recipe is my take to a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes. Thankfully, just because it’s low in carbs doesn’t mean it’s not a flat-out delicious option.
Can I just say, that my family absolutely loves this faux mashed potato recipe and it’s why can’t wait for you to try.
As a fan of all things cauliflower, you should also check out our keto mac and cheese, our keto cauliflower rice, and our keto cauliflower raw salad. All fantastic ways to include more of this super-food cruciferous vegetable!
Keto Cauliflower Mash
Easier to make than traditional mash potatoes a cauliflower mash has less prep time since there is no need to peel cauliflower. Just because cauliflower is much lower in carb option doesn’t mean it’s not as light, creamy, and flat-0ut delicious as mashed potatoes.
The key to mimicking the flavor of mashed potatoes using cauliflower is in the ingredients added. Since cauliflower has a very mild taste it absorbs whatever seasoning you add to it.
One of my texture and flavor hacks is the addition of cream cheese. It ensures that the cauli mash is stable.
Benefits Of Cauliflower
Cauliflower may not be brightly colored but it still manages to have just as many vitamins and minerals as richly colored vegetables.
It also happens to be high in fiber which is known to be good for good gut health. A serving of cauliflower has 77% of your daily allowance of Vitamin C, which can help boost immunity.
Vitamin K, which aids in bone health and blood clotting. Cauliflower also has vitamin B6 and folate both of which play a key role in energy production. If that’s not enough, it’s also rich in potassium, magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus!
How To Make Keto Cauliflower Mash
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Cauliflower is naturally a low-carb vegetable though they contain quite a lot of water content which when cooked may result in a very soggy mash or soup if not carefully prepared.
Prepare the cauliflower by rinsing it well in water and chopping off any brown spots from the stem. Bring about 2 inches of water in a pot fitted with a steamer basket and bring to a rolling boil.
Add the cauliflowers in batches if needed so they don’t become crowded in your steamer. Alternatively, you can also cook your cauliflower in a microwave quite effortlessly.
Steam the whole garlic cloves along with cauliflower florets until fork-tender. Drain the cauliflower and place it in the middle of a kitchen towel and squeeze out any excess liquid.
Then transfer to a food processor or use an immersion blender and process until smooth and creamy. Add in the heavy cream, softened cream cheese, parmesan cheese, sour cream, and seasoning, blend for a few seconds until well combined.
If you find that the parmesan cheese isn’t melting into the cauliflower mash, warm up the mash in a small pot on the stovetop on low and stir until it is well incorporated.
I like using an immersion blender to blend all ingredients well so there are no large pieces of cauliflower remaining but be careful not to over-blend or you will end up with cauliflower soup instead!
Ingredients Needed For Keto Creamy Cauliflower Mash
The following are the ingredients you’ll need to make the creamiest cauliflower mash. Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
- Cauliflower, florets
- Full-fat cream cheese softened. Added for structure and creaminess
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Ground nutmeg, just a pinch
- Garlic cloves
- Parsley, for garnish
- Chives, for garnish
Here Are Some Tips To Avoid Watery Cauliflower Mash
- Wring the steamed cauliflower in a kitchen towel to remove extra moisture. This allows you to add more liquid ingredients like heavy cream and sour cream without worrying about the mashed cauliflower being too loose.
- I add cream cheese into the mashed cauliflower while blending all the ingredients together. This will enhance its creaminess as well as add some fat which is good for keto dieters.
- Adding parmesan cheese while blending the hot cauliflower together not only enhances the flavor but also aids in binding the mash together.
I sure hope you will give this recipe for keto-friendly cheesy cauliflower mash a try and will help us share it. If you give it a try, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes! Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations.
You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal. Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list so that we can stay connected.
Grab Our Books
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list so that we can stay connected.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Randy and I came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting to we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Favorite Keto Meal Planner
If you’ve been looking for an easy way to meal plan, consider checking out my review on Real Plans.
By using a keto meal planner you will free up your time by streamlining the process. I hope you agree with me that the last thing anyone needs, is to spend hours attempting to put a meal plan together.
I love how Real Plans understands that the average busy person has no clue how to meal plan successfully, let alone consistently. Plus you can even use our Keto Recipes to form to create your weekly meal plans.
- 1 large cauliflower florets about 3 pounds
- 2 ounces of full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 5 cloves of garlic, whole
- Chives, chopped (garnish)
- Steam cook your cauliflower: Bring about 2 inches of water in a pot fitted with a steamer basket and bring to a rolling boil. Add the cauliflowers in batches if needed so they don't become crowded in your steamer.
- Steam the whole garlic cloves along with the cauliflower. This will allow them to easily blend into the mash.
- Wring in a kitchen towel the steamed cauliflower to remove extra moisture.
- Transfer to a food processor or immersion blender and add in the heavy cream, softened cream cheese, sour cream, seasoning, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Heat on the stovetop in a small pan stirring constantly on low-medium heat until heated through.
- Serve hot with a pat of butter and garnish with chopped chives.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 13.7gSaturated Fat: 8.5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 665mgCarbohydrates: 12gNet Carbohydrates: 6.2gFiber: 5.8g