This recipe for keto cauliflower mac and cheese is the perfect substitute for traditional macaroni and cheese. There is no need to miss pasta while on a keto diet when you have a delicious low-carb macaroni and cheese recipe like this.
Cauliflower florets, broccoli florets, and a creamy cheese sauce come together for what I consider the ultimate comfort food.
This low-carb mac comes in at only 5.4 grams of net carbs per serving. Plus, it’s filling enough to be a complete meal on its own!
Traditional recipes have nothing on this delicious low-carb recipe, but maybe high grams of carbs.
If this is the first time you’re trying low-carb pasta alternatives, you’ll be happy to know that it’s a great recipe and that it tastes like the real thing.
Using small florets instead of actual pasta is a good substitute that also happens to be gluten-free!
Silence that craving for comfort food like classic mac ‘n’ cheese while sneaking in more healthy vegetables.
It’s keto recipes like this that make it easy to stay true to your low-carb diet and are the best way to see the results you’re hoping for.
If you’ve been missing your high-carb pasta side dish on a keto diet, I have a tasty and healthy solution for you!
This healthy, easy keto cauliflower broccoli mac and cheese casserole can stand alone as a main meal or be served alongside your favorite protein.
It’s a rich and creamy gluten-free macaroni and cheese alternative that will help stop pasta cravings.
I have another delicious cauliflower mac. It’s a keto roasted cauliflower mac and cheese recipe that you might also want to try.
Be sure to check out our collection Keto Cream Cheese Recipes for more delicious keto-friendly recipes that feature cream cheese.
Keto Cauliflower Cauliflower Mac And Cheese
Although cauliflower does not behave exactly like pasta, its bland flavor absorbs all the flavors of this rich cheese sauce. And as long as you don’t overcook it, the texture also works.
The mac and cheese sauce is made using a combination of cream cheese, heavy cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and a little parmesan cheese for good measure.
The sauce is very similar to the one I used to make for my family when I would make macaroni and cheese from scratch.
Except this creamy cheddar cheese sauce needs absolutely no flour to thicken it.
Just because you’re on a keto diet doesn’t mean you have to live without comfort food. With just a few key swaps, you can enjoy this indulgent keto mac ‘n’ cheese.
I chose to add broccoli to my easy keto cauliflower mac and cheese for added nutrition and flavor. You can, however, substitute the broccoli for cauliflower if you so desire.
Of course, to get this cauliflower and broccoli mac n cheese to taste like their wheat counterparts, I placed the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes, giving this casserole a crunchy cheesy topping.
Cauliflower Mac And Cheese (Keto)
I can relate to how craving pasta until eating a low-carb keto diet becomes a lifestyle can prove tricky.
This is why using vegetables as a pasta alternative makes so much sense. After all, what most people are missing isn’t the bland pasta but the sauce that accompanies it.
And like any homemade mac and cheese, the secret is in the cheese sauce. You’ll be happy to know that this cheesy sauce delivers a big flavor.
I serve this broccoli mac and cheese to my non-keto family members, and guess what? They TOTALLY love it.
But what’s not to love? It’s made with a decadently rich cheesy sauce!
What I love about using vegetables to replace pasta is that, if cooked correctly, you can get the perfect mouthfeel that traditional pasta has without the massive amounts of carbs and loads more nutrition.
I assure you that you won’t miss your regular mac and cheese with this easy keto cauliflower broccoli macaroni and cheese casserole, and neither will your non-keto friends and family.
Ingredients Needed For Keto Mac And Cheese
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
- Heavy whipping cream
- Fresh head of cauliflower
- Fresh broccoli
- Unsalted butter
- Full-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened at room temperature
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
How To Make Keto Cauliflower, Broccoli Mac & Cheese
To make this cauliflower broccoli bake, you’ll need a buttered 9×13 baking pan. and
You’ll preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then coarsely chop the fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets separately to resemble macaroni pasta set aside.
Keep in mind that I am recommending that you cook the vegetables separately since it takes fresh broccoli less time to cook.
I begin by blanching the cauliflower first and then reserving the water to blanch the broccoli afterward. To do so, you’ll need to bring a large pot of water to a boil.
When the water is boiling, add the cauliflower florets and cook for about 2 1/2 minutes. Then, you’ll remove the cauliflower florets with a slotted spoon and place them in a large colander to drain.
Once drained, add the cooked cauliflower to the buttered pan.
Then bring the water back up to a boil and cook the broccoli florets for about 2 minutes, and then drain the broccoli in the colander.
I then add the broccoli florets on top of the cauliflower pieces, being sure to distribute them evenly in the pan so that everyone gets a little broccoli with each serving.
Homemade Keto Mac & Cheese Sauce
To make the cheese sauce, you’ll need to melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
After the butter has melted, stir in the heavy whipping cream and let the sauce come to a gentle simmer. Be sure to stir occasionally.
Next, add the cream cheese and stir until thoroughly melted and incorporated.
Then, it’s time to add the 3 ounces of parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir the pan until it melts.
Add 1 ½ cups of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the cream sauce and stir until the cheese melts and is fully incorporated. Then, stir in the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Once the sauce is ready, pour it evenly over the cauliflower and broccoli florets.
Next, top the mac and cheese casserole with the reserved 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the 2 ounces of fresh parmesan cheese.
It’s now ready to bake at 350 for 45 minutes, uncovered. I then like to broil for the last few minutes to ensure it’s nicely golden brown.
It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books & Recipe Keto App
I pray these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you. Gain access to simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts with our FITTOSERVEGROUP APP.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective.
As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace. Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision, we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives.
Keto Mac And Cheese
- 2 pints of heavy whipping cream
- 1 large head of cauliflower (florets about 5 cups)
- 1 medium head of broccoli (florets about 2 cups)
- ½ stick of unsalted butter ¼ cup
- 8 ounces of full-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened at room temperature
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reserve ½ cup for topping
- 5 ounces of fresh shredded parmesan cheese (reserve 2 ounces for topping)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or to taste
- Lightly butter a 9x13 baking pan and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coarsely chop the fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets separately to resemble macaroni pasta set aside. You will cook these separately since it takes fresh broccoli less time to cook.
- Begin by blanching the cauliflower first and then reserving the water to blanch the broccoli afterward. You'll need to bring a large pot of water to boil. Once the water is boiling add the cauliflower florets and cook for about 2 1/2 minutes. Remove the cauliflower florets with a slotted spoon and place them in a large colander to drain. Once drained add the cooked cauliflower to the prepared pan. Then bring the water to boil again and cook the broccoli florets for about 2 minutes and then drain the broccoli in the colander. Once drained add the broccoli florets on top of the cauliflower pieces being sure to distribute them evenly in the pan.
- Proceed to make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan, over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the heavy whipping cream and allow the sauce to come to a gentle simmer. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Next, add the cream cheese and stir until fully melted and incorporated.
- Add 3 ounces of then parmesan cheese to the sauce and mix till it melts into the sauce.
- Add 1 ½ cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the cream sauce and stir until the cheese fully melts and is fully incorporated.
- Next, stir in the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Assembling The Casserole
- Once the sauce is ready pour the prepared cheese sauce over the cooked cauliflower and broccoli florets.
- Top the mac and cheese with the reserved 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and the 2 ounces of fresh parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes uncovered.
- If needed broil for 5 minutes on high or until the top of the casserole is nicely browned.
- Store in an airtight container the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
Make Ahead Instructions
You can make this casserole ahead of time by refrigerating it for up to 48 hours once the mac & cheese is assembled and ready to bake. Then just uncover and bake. If you make it ahead, you may need to bake up to 15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 599Total Fat: 58.7gSaturated Fat: 36.8gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 420mgCarbohydrates: 6.4gNet Carbohydrates: 5.4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1.1gProtein: 14.8g