A delicious low carb mock apple pie that uses chayote squash in place of apples.
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it has me dancing in the streets. Okay, perhaps not in the streets, but for sure in my kitchen. Thanksgiving Day is hands down my favorite holiday, probably because it’s less commercialized.
Besides the obvious opportunity to feast on holiday fare, I love that it makes us pause to give thanks together. What better way to celebrate all of God’s blessings?
Having a heart of gratitude makes for a happier life in my book. I am a believer that we should be grateful every day. Less face it though with the horrid schedules most have, taking time to share a holiday is not only a lovely gesture but it helps recharge emotional batteries too.
The other aspect I love about this holiday is that it’s wrapped up with so special traditions. Whether it’s a favorite activity, or a dish that only makes appearance once a year, Thanksgiving Day is a beautiful reminder of all things that truly matter.
I must admit that although eating a low carb keto diet has become a lifestyle for us, if there is one dessert I miss, is apple pie. I know many of my Paleo friends include apples in their diet, but for someone as insulin resistant as I am, it’s just not an option.
Coming Up With A Keto Substitute For Apples
Keeping my love of apples in mind, you must imagine how excited I was when I accidentally figured out how to use chayote squash as an apple substitute.
I may not be the only one doing this, but I had not heard of it prior to this discovery. Insert happy dance!
I know some other brilliant low carb bakers have used zucchini squash as an apple substitute, but I personally feel the texture is too mushy and watery for my taste. Which is why I kept searching for a better alternative.
If you follow the blog regularly you know I had already used chayote squash for my “mock” apple cobbler with great success. However, this stubborn girl wanted a pie.
I especially wanted to perfect my “apple” pie before Thanksgiving Day. Pies, have always been part of our family’s Thanksgiving treat traditions and this year I was determined to come up with an option that could truly pass for apple.
I was thrilled with the results of this low carb mock apple pie and I am looking forward to sharing it during the holiday season.
*PLEASE NOTE: Raw chayote exudes a sticky sap when peeled that can potentially cause skin irritation. We recommend that you wear gloves when peeling just to be on the safe side.
Low Carb Mock Apple Pie
A low carb mock apple pie made from chayote squash
40 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 5 chayote squash
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ¾ cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons of butter, sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks of butter melted and cooled)
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups coconut flour
- 2 teaspoon of sugar substitute
- Mix all the ingredients just until dough forms.
- Divide dough in half to make the top and bottom of the pie crust.
- Roll out with between two sheets of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Transfer one crust into a 8 inch pie pan. Being careful to smooth out any cracks.
- Boil the chayotes whole, peel and slice. (Cook till tender about 15-20 minutes)
- Place the peeled and sliced chayotes in a large bowl and add the sugar substitute, lemon juice, sea salt and cinnamon powder. Combine well.
- Pour the chayote mixture into the pie crust. Add the butter slices on top of the filling.
- Top the pie with the other pie crust.
- Press the edges around the pie with the tines of a fork to seal the two crusts together. Cut slits on pie to allow to vent.
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven.
A Holiday Keto Tip
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan during the holidays? Perhaps you need a willpower boost?
Using Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement may be the key, since it raises your ketone levels naturally.
You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer.
Learn more about how the science works by watching these short explainer video Needing further support?
Feel free to reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//os and the keto lifestyle. We can even schedule a phone call and coach you for free when you make a 15, 20, or 30 day purchase.
For detail information on which plan can best suit your needs read more here.