These delicious keto sweet and spicy chipotle chicken wings are oven-baked saving you time and effort.
The only thing better than sweet and spicy wings is knowing that these wings are also sugar-free, gluten-free, and therefore keto-friendly!
These oven-baked, crispy, sticky keto wings have nothing on their high-carb counterpart.
Not only do they fit your keto macros, but this keto baked wing recipe makes the perfect game day, super bowl appetizer, lunch, or even dinner!
With only 2.6 net carbs per wing, it’s a keto recipe you should include in your keto meal planning rotation.
Be sure to check out our collection of keto football food for more tasty options!
And our keto chicken recipes too!
Keto Sweet And Spicy Chipotle Baked Chicken Wings
Chicken wings can definitely fit nicely on a keto diet. Of course, this will depend totally on how they are prepared.
In order for chicken wings to be keto, they can’t be breaded with gluten-loaded wheat and the sauce you toss them in cannot have sugar.
Since my family has always gravitated towards sweet and spicy wings, like the kind you get at fast-food chains, I knew I had to perfect my recipe.
We also really enjoy spicy foods, and so I wanted to make them chipotle wings. We really love the smokey flavor that chipotle spice offers.
Using chipotle powder instead of chipotle peppers gives more of a mild spicy flavor so these are not super hot wings.
I knew I could get the flavor profile correct by just tweaking a little the sauce I used for our keto glazed ham.
I also wanted these wings to be baked since I really hate the messiness of frying. Plus, the great thing is that baking also reduces calories.
I am happy to report that these are not only low carb wings, they are low-carb crispy baked wings that feature a sweet chipotle sauce that uses zero sugar. You’re welcome.
The real taste test came when I shared my keto chicken wing recipe with my family.
They loved it and raved about the perfect balance of flavors and they couldn’t get over the crispy skin they had despite being baked.
How To Get Crispy Oven Baked Wings
You’ll notice in my ingredient list that I toss my wings in baking powder along with the other dry spices. The reason is that the addition of baking powder ensures crispy wings.
Taking the time to toss your wings in a little baking powder will produce the same texture you get when you fry wings.
The secret is that baking powder is alkaline and it helps break down the peptide bonds in the chicken skin. Giving you a better crisp and golden brown color.
Ingredients Needed To Make Keto-Friendly Sweet Chipotle Chicken Wings
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The following is a list of ingredients and tools you’ll need to make these keto chicken wings. Note that the full recipe card is below.
- Thawed chicken wings that have been patted dry with a paper towel.
- Sea salt
- Smoked paprika
- Cumin powder
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chipotle pepper powder
- Baking powder ( note that the addition of baking powder is what ensures the wings will be crispy)
Sugar-Free Chipotle Wing Sauce
Allulose powder or liquid
- Allulose powder or liquid
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated brown sugar substitute
- Dry mustard powder
- Cinnamon powder
- Nutmeg powder
- Chipotle pepper powder
- Sea salt
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (Optional)
- Blue cheese, softened
- Heavy cream
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
How To Make Baked Keto Chipotle Chicken Wings
These chicken wings are crispy and sticky. The recipe is pretty straightforward and easy to make. You’ll start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
The wings will bake on a wire rack so that the hot air circulates evenly around the chicken pieces, remember we are after that crisp.
To do this simply place a wire rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet then lightly spray the rack with olive oil, this will ensure the wings do not stick to the rack as they cook.
It’s important you use thawed chicken wings that have been patted dry with paper towels before they are seasoned.
To season the wings, toss the dry chicken wings in a large bowl with the dry spices and baking powder and toss the wings again, making sure they are all evenly coated.
Place the chicken wings tossed in the dry rub onto the prepared rack in a single layer and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes turning them once and cooking them until fully cooked, golden brown, and crispy.
While the wings bake make the chipotle sugar-free sauce.
The sauce is made easily by melting the butter on the stovetop and adding the brown sugar substitute and allulose sweetener.
Then cook the sauce over medium heat until the sugar substitutes blend into the sauce stirring occasionally.
Next, you’ll add the remaining spices and mix well until fully combined. Cook the sauce until it gently simmers and thickens.
Be sure not to cook the sauce over high heat as it can easily scorch the sauce.
Once the wings are done baste the cooked chicken wings generously on both sides with the sauce using a basting brush and return the wings back to the oven to cook for an additional 12-15 minutes.
Serve the wings hot and if you like with some blue cheese dressing or your favorite low-carb ranch dressing.
Air Fryer Instructions
These keto wings can also be made in an air fryer. To do so simply preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
Once the wings are seasoned bake the wings in small batches. Cook the wings for 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway. Cook thoroughly until golden brown and crispy.
I encourage you to refer to your air-fryer baking instructions and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Once all the wings are cooked baste the wings with the chipotle sauce return to the air-fryer and cook for another 2-minutes until the glaze adheres.
I sure hope you will make these keto sweet and spicy chipotle wings.
Please remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook with your pictures if you decide to make them. I can’t tell you how encouraging it is to see how well you are all duplicating our little recipes.
Grab Our Books!
In case you don’t know I have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days) We hope it blesses you.
Fittoservegroup Keto App
Looking for a fast way to access our keto recipes? We got you covered. There’s an app for that. Yup, there’s a Fit To Serve Group App and it’s going to make your keto diet a delicious breeze!
Access hundreds of recipes that are all sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Enjoy early access to recipes before they go live on the website. Plus, bonus recipes that are exclusive to the app. Make your own personal cookbooks that you can use to organize your favorite recipes.
Search recipes by title, ingredients, keywords, and categories, and of course every recipe shows complete nutritional facts.
Get the Fit to Serve Group App for easy-to-follow keto recipes made with easy-to-source ingredients.
The app is loaded with hundreds of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
Learn more by visiting our Fit To Serve Group App Page.
- 4 pounds of thawed chicken wings
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle pepper powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder
Sugar-Free Chipotle Sauce
- 1/3 cup of allulose powder or liquid
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of granulated brown sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle pepper powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (Optional)
- 3 ounces of soft blue cheese
- 1/3 cup of heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a wire rack on top of a foil-lined baking sheet and lightly spray the rack with oil.
- Pat dry the chicken wings with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl sprinkle wings with the dry spices and baking powder and toss the wings being sure they are evenly coated.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings on the prepared wire rack.
- Bake the chicken wings for 35-40 minutes turning them once and cooking them until fully cooked, golden brown, and crispy.
- While the wings bake make the sauce.
- Once the wings are done, baste the cooked chicken wings generously on both sides with the sauce and return them back to the oven to cook for an additional 12-15 minutes to ensure the sauce adheres to the wings.
- Serve the wings hot.
- Store leftover chicken wings in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Chipotle Sugar-Free Sauce
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the brown sugar substitute and allulose. Cook over medium heat until the sugar substitutes blend into the sauce stirring occasionally. Then add the remaining spices and mix well until fully combined. Cook the sauce until it gently simmers and thickens. Be sure not to cook the sauce over high heat as it can easily scorch the sauce.
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl combine the soft blue cheese with the heavy cream and spices.
- Store the sauce for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
The nutrition facts are based per wing, this allows you to determine how many you can have based on your personal macros.
Air Fryer Instructions:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- The wings will need to be cooked in batches. Cook the wings for 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway. Cook thoroughly until golden brown and crispy.
- Once all the wings are cooked baste the wings with the chipotle sauce return to the air-fryer and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the glaze adheres.
Reheat Instructions: To reheat the chicken wings preheat the oven to 400 degrees place the wings on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes until the wings are heated through and are crisp again.
Note: This recipe can be doubled easily.
The blue cheese dipping sauce is optional and not included in the nutrition facts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 28.6gSaturated Fat: 9.9gCholesterol: 284mgSodium: 774mgCarbohydrates: 3.3gNet Carbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 88g