These keto triple chocolate scones make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or fast keto snack. It’s a no-roll, recipe that makes chocolate the star by using cocoa powder, baking chocolate, and sugar-free chocolate chips.
This recipe for low-carb chocolate scones is not only decadently rich and delicious, but it’s also super easy to make. It’s a healthy way to enjoy scones, without all the unnecessary sugar and carbs! You’re welcome.
These are incredibly satisfying and always manages to silence my sweet tooth without being overly sweet. Enjoy them with a cup of coffee or your favorite tea.
If you are a scone lover doing keto, I have a growing collection of keto scones with many flavor variations. So be sure to check them out too.
Keto Triple Chocolate Scones
What makes these keto-friendly chocolate scones extra rich is that it uses not one, not two, but three types of chocolate. Yup. chocolate lovers doing keto you are in for a real treat.
Get your dose of chocolate without an ounce of guilt! My keto chocolatey scones stand apart from traditional ones in that it uses a batter that can be spread rather than rolled. And that it’s baked in a cast-iron skillet.
They can, however, also be baked in a cake pan. With that being said, I sure hope that at some point you get your hands on a cast-iron skillet because the crust it produces is unmatched.
How To Make Keto Triple Chocolate Scones
Traditional scones are a type of quick bread, making them super easy to make. They use baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast as their leavening agent.
Since the dough in this recipe is one you just mix and spread in the pan, it’s pretty much failproof. Keep in mind that these scones are a little less flaky but other than that they share lots of similarities to the classic recipe.
These are not only low in carbs but gluten-free chocolate scones made with a combination of almond flour and coconut flour for the perfect crumb texture.
I added a sugar-free vanilla icing to the recipe that is a nice contrast to the chocolate.
Classic scone making usually involves cold butter that is sliced thinly and cut into the flour. But I use melted butter in my keto scone recipes.
Since keto baking is very different from high carb baking, somehow the use of melted butter with the two types of keto-friendly flours works well and keeps the recipe super simple.
Keep in mind, that these low-carb scones are void of gluten so there is no worry of overworking the dough. It’s what makes these gluten-free triple chocolate scones a great easy treat for anyone avoiding gluten and doing keto.
Below are the ingredients you’ll need. Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Keto Chocolate Scones
- Finely milled almond flour, measured and sifted
- Coconut flour
- Granulated sugar substitute
- Full-fat sour cream
- Unsalted melted butter
- Cocoa powder
- Baking chocolate
- Eggs, room temperature
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Vanilla extract
Keto Vanilla Glaze
Best Sugar Substitutes For Sugar-Free Chocolate Scones
You could also use the stevia and erythritol-based brand Pyure for most of my baked goods. However, I will add that I am not a fan of stevia-based ingredients with chocolate. I just find it intensifies the aftertaste.
If you still plan on using Pyure you will want to use half the amount called for in this recipe since it’s a much sweeter choice.
Lastly, if you can’t easily find a more natural sugar substitute you can also use Splenda for baking or a generic brand of the same. It will work with great success.
I know not everyone would agree with me here and I respect that but in my book, it’s still better than regular sugar. When it comes to the keto vanilla glaze you will have to use a confectioner’s sugar substitute. Both Lakanto and Swerve have great ones to choose from.
My failed attempts when I first went keto are what caused me to be very intentional with my Keto Baking recipes like these scones. I threw away so many ingredients in the beginning and I never want anyone to be so frustrated that they give up on the diet before they can see long-lasting results.
Even though those early days were not fun, the fact that I stayed the course has made this journey very rewarding. Besides, if I had quit at the first sign of struggle, I would not have had the opportunity to engage with you all.
I sure hope you give this recipe for low-carb triple chocolate scones a try and that once you do you will take a moment to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. It’s what keeps us encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting our recipes.
Grab Our Books
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list so that we can stay connected.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Randy and I came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting to we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Fittoservegroup Keto App
Looking for a fast way to access our keto recipes? We got you covered. There’s an app for that. Yup, there’s a Fit To Serve Group App and it’s going to make your keto diet a delicious breeze! Access hundreds of recipes that are all sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Enjoy early access to recipes before they go live on the website. Plus, bonus recipes that are exclusive to the app. Make your own personal cookbooks that you can use to organize your favorite recipes.
Search recipes by title, ingredients, keywords, and categories, and of course every recipe shows complete nutritional facts. Get the Fit to Serve Group App for easy-to-follow keto recipes made with easy-to-source ingredients.
The app is loaded with hundreds of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
Learn more by visiting our Fit To Serve Group App Page.
Keto Triple Chocolate Scones
- 1 1/4 cups of finely milled almond flour
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- ½ cup of granulated sugar substitute
- ½ cup of full-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup of melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 ounces of baking chocolate
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of sugar-free chocolate chips ( I used Lily's Dark Chocolate Brand)
Keto Vanilla Glaze
Keto Vanilla Scones
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease with butter a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Melt the butter and the baking chocolate in the microwave in 20-second intervals stirring in between or over a double boiler. Set it aside to cool. Wait until the mixture cools before adding the eggs.
- Using an electric mixer combine the sugar substitute, cooled melted chocolate butter mixer, and the eggs.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and combine well.
- Next add the dry ingredients (the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt) then stir until fully combined.
- Fold in the sugar-free chocolate chips into the chocolate scone batter.
- Spread the batter into a fully greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet. If you do not own a cast-iron skillet, grease a round cake pan
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the scones to cool completely.
- Drizzle the keto vanilla glaze over the top. Dust the top of the scones with a tiny amount of cocoa powder (optional).
- Store your keto triple chocolate scones in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks.
Keto Vanilla Glaze
- Combine the confectioner's sugar substitute with 2-3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Start with 2 tablespoons of cream and more if needed.
- Drizzle the vanilla glaze over the top of the fully cooled scones and allow the glaze to set before enjoying.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 17.6 gSaturated Fat: 6.2gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 5.5gNet Carbohydrates: 4.4gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 6g