If you want a chicken recipe that’s rich with flavor, you’re going to love this keto chicken Divan casserole!
This easy keto recipe can be made with rotisserie chicken bought straight from the grocery store or with leftover chicken of any kind.
It’s a low-carb chicken divan recipe that features a homemade creamy, cheesy sauce, fresh broccoli, and mushrooms and then is topped with a keto-friendly bread topping.
Rather than canned soup, and regular bread crumbs, it’s made with easy-to-source ingredients that are good for you for a much healthier option that also happens to be gluten-free!
At 5.6 g net carbs, it’s the ultimate comfort food to bring to a family gathering or to make for a weeknight dinner with the whole family.
Add this recipe to your keto meal planning rotation for a casserole dish your whole family will love!
Be sure to visit our keto casserole recipes and our keto chicken recipes for more delicious options.
Keto Chicken Divan
Wondering how chicken divan got its name?
Well, chicken Divan is named after its birthplace at Divan Parisien Restaurant, a now-defunct upscale restaurant that operated within the Chatham Hotel in New York City, where it was created by Chef Anthony Lagasi and served as a signature dish in the early 20th century. I
n French, the word divan refers to a meeting place or great hall.
The earliest recipes for Chicken Divan were found in cookbooks written in the late 1950s and early 1960s. However, because the original recipe was kept secret, their level of authenticity remains unknown.
One version of the Chicken Divan recipe that is a close approximation to Lagasi’s recipe called for poached chicken breasts, broccoli, and Mornay sauce enriched with egg yolks.
Nowadays, it’s prepared with Parmesan cheese, with one version using pre-cooked chicken, mayonnaise, and canned soup (like cream of chicken soup), while other versions use potato chips.
However, for this keto Chicken Divan Casserole recipe, we will make our cheese sauce since a can of cream of chicken soup is not only loaded with preservatives and gluten but also extremely high in carbs.
Ingredients Needed To Make Keto Chicken Divan
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning that, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Here are the ingredients needed to make this low-carb chicken divan. Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
- Fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces, about 8 cups
- Cooked chicken, shredded
- Shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Mayonnaise use an avocado oil mayo
- Cream cheese softened
- Baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- Small yellow onion, finely chopped
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder,
- Red pepper flakes
- Brown mustard
- Curry powder
- Black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Almond flour
- Finely grated parmesan cheese
- Melted unsalted butter
- Black pepper
- Italian spices
How To Make Keto Chicken Divan
First, you need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Then, cook the cut broccoli in a large pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain it well.
Next, you’ll make the sauce in a small pot over medium-low heat by mixing the heavy cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, brown mustard, curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
Cook the sauce until it is smooth and combined. Then add half the shredded cheddar cheese and continue to cook until the sauce is fully incorporated. Set it aside.
To assemble the casserole, mix the cooked broccoli and chicken into the sauce and spread into a 3qt casserole dish (or a 9 x 13-inch baking pan). Add the sliced mushrooms and onion over the top of the casserole, and then top it with the remaining cheese.
For the topping, mix the almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle the topping over the chicken mixture and drizzle the melted butter over the top.
Bake the casserole for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is golden brown and bubbling. Serve over cauliflower rice.
Note that you can use frozen broccoli if you prefer; you’ll just need to cook it before adding it to the casserole.
Make Ahead Instructions
This easy keto-friendly casserole can be made ahead, saving you time and making it easier to bring dinner to the table.
You’ll assemble the casserole and place it in a freezer and oven-safe container. Then cover the casserole with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months.
When ready to bake, defrost in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight, then bake at 375 degrees for about 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
I sure hope you will give this recipe for keto-friendly chicken divan casserole a try and will help us share it.
If you give it a try, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes!
You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books & APP
In case you don’t know, we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts, both inspired by your requests over the years.
It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Gain access to simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts with our FITTOSERVEGROUP APP.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Randy and I came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting, we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision, we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives.
We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days). We hope it blesses you.
Fittoservegroup Keto App
Looking for a fast way to access our keto recipes? We got you covered. There’s an app for that. Yup, there’s a Fit To Serve Group App, and it’s going to make your keto diet a delicious breeze!
Access hundreds of recipes that are all sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Enjoy early access to recipes before they go live on the website. Plus, bonus recipes that are exclusive to the app. Make your own personal cookbooks that you can use to organize your favorite recipes.
Search recipes by title, ingredients, keywords, and categories, and of course, every recipe shows complete nutritional facts.
Get the Fit to Serve Group App for easy-to-follow keto recipes made with easy-to-source ingredients.
The app is loaded with hundreds of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
Learn more by visiting our Fit To Serve Group App Page.
Keto Divan Chicken Casserole
This keto chicken divan is simply divine! It’s a creamy, cheesy broccoli chicken casserole that is just as comforting as the classic recipe minus all the carbs.
- 1 pound of fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces, about 8 cups. Or frozen broccoli cooked and cut into small pieces.
- 3 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded ( one-3 pound rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces of baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon each garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder,
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons of brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 2 tablespoons of finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Italian spices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the cut broccoli in a large pot of boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain well and set it aside. Alternatively, you can use frozen broccoli cooked to the package instructions.
- In a small pot over medium-low heat, make the sauce by mixing the heavy cream, sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, brown mustard, curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook until the sauce is smooth and combined. Then add half the shredded cheddar cheese and cook until the sauce is fully incorporated. Set it aside.
Assemble The Casserole
- Mix the cooked broccoli and chicken into the sauce and spread into a 3qt casserole dish (or a 9x13 baking pan). Add the sliced mushrooms and onion over the top of the casserole and then top with the remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian spices, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the topping over the chicken mixture and drizzle the melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the casserole is golden brown and bubbling. Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with two tablespoons of chopped parsley (optional).
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze them for up to 3 weeks.
Note that you can use frozen broccoli if you prefer; you'll just need to cook it before adding it to the casserole.
Make Ahead Instructions
Assemble the casserole and place it in a freezer and oven-safe container. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to bake, defrost in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight, then bake at 375 degrees for about 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 680mgCarbohydrates: 6.7gNet Carbohydrates: 5.6gFiber: 2.1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g