This keto BBQ chicken casserole is a deliciously easy way to enjoy all the flavors we love about a barbecue with very little effort!
Packed with chicken, cheese, and a flavorful low carb BBQ sauce, this casserole is sure to become a family favorite in no time. And best of all, it’s low-carb and keto-friendly.
Do you know what else is great about this recipe? You can use leftover rotisserie chicken. Perfect for when you need something simple and quick to feed the family.
That’s right, it’s a recipe the whole family will love, even if they are not doing a keto diet. It’s that yummy and filling.
Plus, you can make this keto casserole in advance and then just reheat it for an easy weeknight meal. Just pop it in the oven to reheat and you’re good to go!
Be sure to check out our featured keto casseroles for more tasty keto recipes!
Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole
Shredded chicken and cauliflower rice smothered in a keto-friendly sweet and tangy barbecue sauce and then baked with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese goodness and bacon bits. What more can you ask for?!
This easy keto barbecue chicken casserole makes the perfect any-time-of-the-year meal! It’s one you’ll want to add to your keto meal planning rotation.
The recipe calls for chicken breasts that have been poached and then shredded but you could use chicken thighs or, as I mentioned before leftover rotisserie chicken.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
- Cooked boneless chicken breasts, shredded
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Frozen cauliflower rice cooked
- Shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Real bacon bits or slices of cooked bacon crumbled
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
I used my recipe for Keto BQQ sauce and added a small can of tomato sauce to extend the sauce. The full recipe is included in the recipe card.
You could however substitute the homemade BBQ sauce for a jar of G Hughes Sugar-Free BBQ sauce to save extra time. Just note that using a premade sauce purchased at the grocery store means that the carb count will likely be higher.
This delicious casserole has 7.6 net carbs per serving when using our bbq sauce and boneless skinless chicken breasts.
How To Make Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole
To make this keto-friendly bbq chicken casserole recipe you’ll start by cooking the frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave according to the instructions on the bag and place it in a medium-sized bowl then season it with salt and pepper.
If you need to rice your own cauliflower, you can refer to our keto cauliflower rice recipe for instructions.
Next, you’ll need to cook your boneless chicken breasts by poaching or use leftover chicken instead.
To poach the chicken simply cover with water the chicken pieces and cook on the stovetop at a low simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
The best way to tell if the chicken is fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer on the thickest part of the chicken and for it to register 165 degrees F.
Anything under this internal temperature is considered raw chicken and would need more cooking time.
It’s important to cook slowly as this will ensure the chicken does not become tough and keeps the chicken moist and tender.
I recommend adding a couple of teaspoons of Italian dry herbs to the poaching water to further enhance the flavor.
Note that you can cook your chicken your favorite way for this low-carb dinner including using leftovers.
Once the chicken is cooked it’s time to toss the chicken with the dry seasoning before shredding the chicken.
How To Quickly Shred Your Chicken
I have several ways you can shred your chicken easily. The following are my tips.
- Two-Forks– Shred the chicken by using the two-fork method, where you hold one end of the chicken while you pull the other fork across the flesh of the chicken until it shreds.
- Food Processor: If you have a large food processor, this method works like a charm. Simply add the boneless pieces of chicken into the food processor and process until it shreds.
- Stand-up Mixer/Hand Mixer– My favorite method is shredding the chicken in a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment. I find this method is not only quick but produces the most consistent results.
Assembling The Low Carb BBQ Chicken Casserole
To assemble the chicken casserole start by adding the layer of cooked cauliflower rice to the bottom of a buttered 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Then add half of the prepared bbq sauce over the cauliflower rice and try to spread it evenly.
Next, add the shredded chicken breast on top of the cauliflower rice layer spreading it evenly.
Then drizzle the remaining sugar-free bbq sauce over the top of the chicken and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the entire casserole.
Lastly, sprinkle the bacon bits over the entire surface of the casserole.
At this point, you can choose to cover well the casserole and refrigerate it to bake within the next two days or freeze and bake at a later date.
Bake the casserole in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35-45 minutes until the cheese melts and has lightly browned around the edges.
Garnish with chopped green onions and parsley before enjoying.
Store your leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze for up to a month.
Do you know what would make a great side dish for this bbq keto chicken casserole recipe? Our keto cole slaw!
I sure hope you will give this chicken recipe a try. Once you do, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. Doing so is what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Consider visiting also visiting our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books!
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days) We hope it blesses you.
- 1 1/2 pounds of cooked boneless chicken breasts shredded
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 24 ounces of frozen cauliflower rice cooked, season the cooked cauliflower with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/3 cup of real bacon bits or three slices of bacon crumbled
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions (garnish)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup of sugar-free ketchup
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar-substitute
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- Cook the 24 ounces of frozen cauliflower rice in the microwave according to the instructions on the bag and place it in a medium-sized bowl. Toss the cooked cauliflower with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Next, cook your boneless chicken breasts by poaching or use leftover chicken. To poach the chicken simply cover the chicken pieces with water and cook on the stovetop at a low simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Cooking at a low temperature will ensure the chicken does not become tough and keeps the chicken moist and tender. I recommend adding a couple of teaspoons of Italian dry herbs to the poaching water.
- Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder being sure to stir well to coat the chicken evenly. Set the seasoned chicken aside.
- Shred the cooked chicken in one of the following ways:
- Two-Forks- Once the chicken is cooked, you'll shred the chicken by using the two-fork method, where you hold one end of the chicken while you pull the other fork across the flesh of the chicken until it shreds.
- Food Processor: If you have a large food processor, this method works like a charm. Simply add the chicken and process until it shreds.
- Stand-up Mixer/Hand Mixer- My favorite method is shredding the chicken in a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment. I find this method is not only quick but produces the most consistent results.
- Proceed to make the BBQ sauce or use 18 ounces of your favorite bottled sugar-free bbq sauce.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk well the brown sugar substitute and apple cider vinegar. Then add the remaining ingredients including the tomato sauce and combine well for a couple of minutes until everything is fully incorporated and the sugar-free sweetener has dissolved. Set it aside.
Assembling The Casserole
- Start by adding the layer of cauliflower rice to the bottom of the 9 x13 inch buttered baking dish.
- Then add half of the prepared bbq sauce over the cauliflower rice and try to spread it evenly the entire surface.
- Next, add the shredded chicken breast on top of the cauliflower rice layer spreading it evenly. Then drizzle the remaining sugar-free bbq sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Next, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the BBQ sauce layer. Then sprinkle the bacon bits over the entire surface of the casserole.
- At this point, you can choose to cover well the casserole with foil and refrigerate it to bake within the next two days or freeze and bake at a later date.
- Bake the casserole for 35-45 minutes until the cheese melts and has lightly browned around the edges.
- Lastly, sprinkle the top of the casserole with fresh green onions and parsley and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month in an airtight container.
You could substitute the homemade BBQ sauce for an 18 oz jar of G Hughes Sugar-Free BBQ sauce to save extra time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 12.1gSaturated Fat: 3.3gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 889mgCarbohydrates: 10.1gNet Carbohydrates: 7.6gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 4.6gProtein: 31.5g