This keto ribeye stroganoff features tender slices of steak, savory mushrooms smothered in creamy brown gravy. You can’t go wrong with a dish that’s as close to comfort food perfection and yet still manages to be keto-friendly!
Serve over keto cauliflower mash for one hearty bowl of goodness.
I make my low carb stroganoff recipe using ribeye steak. Why? Well, although classically, beef rump or round steak is used to make the dish. These cuts require tenderizing and longer cooking times.
Stroganoff is meant to cook quickly and using those tougher meats will spoil the dish in my opinion.
Yes, those cuts are cheaper per pound and it’s why I have a keto beef stew recipe that requires you to cook it low and slow and it’s perfect for when you need an inexpensive dinner.
Keto Ribeye Stroganoff
Sometimes you need a quick option that will allow you to have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. Ribeye doesn’t require you to cook longer than 10 minutes. Plus, ribeye steak is an excellent high-fat meat option for keto dieters.
With careful planning, you can find ribeye on sale and make a simple dish that will impress your loved ones.
Using ribeye steak makes this keto-friendly ribeye stroganoff a much quicker and less laborious dish than its counterparts which rely on more demanding cuts of beef that need longer cooking times in order to become tender.
Another delicious cut of meat that will keep this dish under 3o minutes is top sirloin or sirloin tips or even beef tenderloin. So you certainly have options.
Creating a flavorful stroganoff that is keto-friendly starts with a great piece of meat that is well marbled with fat. What keeps this dish keto is also the fact that it doesn’t use any flour to thicken the creamy mushroom gravy.
This makes for an incredibly flavorful keto stroganoff that you can enjoy without worrying about consuming too many carbs and keeps it gluten-free!
How to select the perfect Ribeye Steak
Ribeye steaks are made out of the major muscle linked to a cow’s back, commonly known as the rib. The primary distinguishing feature is that there’s strip-of-fat on top for tenderness and flavor because this part isn’t exercised very often it makes for a tender steak.
All ribeye steaks are not created equal, which is why I recommend whenever possible to choose grass-fed over grain-fed.
Grass-fed steak is a healthier choice than grain-fed meat. Grass feeds cows are permitted to roam free, and this leads them to have more flavor in comparison to their counterparts that feed on grains only or have been confined indoors most of the time
Select a steak that is red in color with a good fat cap. If you are looking for flavor, try one that has some marbling (white lines of fat). The more marbling, the better quality of the steak.
How To Make Keto Ribeye Stroganoff
Making this low carb stroganoff recipe is pretty straightforward and simple. You’ll start by seasoning the ribeye meat with salt and pepper and cutting the meat against the grain into bite-sized pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches.
Then in a large skillet, you’ll heat some of the butter along with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. To the hot pan, you’ll add the sliced mushrooms and cook until lightly brown.
Next, you’ll remove the mushrooms and add another tablespoon of butter and cook the onions, garlic, and shallot until tender and remove them from the skillet, and set them aside with the mushrooms.
To this same pan, add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and raise the temperature to high. You’ll be searing the ribeye steak quickly until brown. Do this in batches being sure not to overcrowd the pan to allow for browning.
Next in the same pan, lower the heat to medium return the cooked onions, garlic, shallot, and mushrooms. Pour the beef broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, and bring it to a low simmer for a few minutes.
Then it’s time to stir in the sour cream and combine well until fully incorporated. Before serving remove the thyme stems if using fresh and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and green onions or chives.
I like serving it hot over cauliflower mash.
Ingredients Needed To Make Keto Stroganoff
The following are the ingredients you’ll need. Please note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Olive oil
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Fresh sprigs of thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried
- Boneless ribeye, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- Sea salt
- Shallot (optional)
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Low sodium beef broth
- Full-fat sour cream
- Sliced mushrooms, I used a combination of baby Bellas and Bella tops
- Chopped of green onions or chives onions, garnish
- Chopped parsley, garnish
- Tomato paste
- Brown mustard
- Unsalted butter, divided
- Worcestershire sauce
In my book, in order to stay committed to a low-carb diet long enough to see the benefits, you should find creative ways to enjoy the recipes you’ve come to love.
I truly believe it’s why as a family we have remained faithful to this healthy lifestyle since 2014.
The quickest way to throw in the towel while doing any dietary changes is to feel deprived. My prayer is that our keto-friendly recipes will make the keto diet a delicious breeze to follow and allow you to experience the changes you are hoping for.
I sure hope you will try out some of this keto stroganoff recipe a try. Once you do make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. It’s what keeps us encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting our recipes.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our email list so that we can stay connected.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Our family came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective, it’s the filter we choose to see from. When we decided to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s lead to embrace the ketogenic diet and to combine it with our faith, we got on the path to real transformation.
If you are looking for a Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives we invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Grab Our Books!
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Favorite Keto Hack To Stay On Track!
Arming yourself with keto recipes is certainly key in doing this diet long enough to see the many benefits. But even with the best low-carb ketogenic recipes sometimes additional help is needed.
This is when we also encourage you to have the right supplements to help you get and stay in ketosis. Because when you have the right tools the keto diet becomes easier.
Perhaps you’ve struggled to get into ketosis consistently on your low-carb keto diet, or you’ve hit a plateau that doesn’t seem to budge, consider using Perfect KETO’s bundle to assist you. It’s a great way to see the benefits sooner rather than later.
You’ll learn how to elevate your ketones naturally enter into ketosis more quickly. Being at a deeper level of ketosis will help reduce your appetite, carb cravings, and give you lasting energy. These are the things you want to see happen as they make this diet sustainable and it’s why we recommend them.
Perfect Keto has offered our readers a 15% discount on their products. Simply use this link for all qualifying products and the code FITTOSERVE at checkout.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 fresh sprigs of thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried
- 2 pounds of boneless ribeye, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 small shallot (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup of full-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 pounds of sliced mushrooms, I used a combination of baby Bellas and Bella tops
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or chives onions, garnish
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley, garnish
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Season the ribeye meat with salt and pepper and cut against the grain into bite-sized pieces that are about 1 1/2 inches. Set it aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the mushrooms over medium-high heat until tender and light brown for about 4 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and set them aside.
- Next, heat the second tablespoon of butter and cook the onions, garlic, and shallot until tender and remove from the skillet, and set aside with the mushrooms.
- To this same pan, add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and raise the temperature to high. Sear the ribeye steak quickly until brown. Do this in batches being sure not to overcrowd the pan to allow for browning.
- Next in the same pan, lower the heat to medium return the cooked onions, garlic, shallot, and mushrooms.
- Pour the beef broth, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, and bring it to a low simmer. about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and combine well until fully incorporated.
- Remove the thyme stem.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and green onions or chives.
- Serve hot with cauliflower mash.
- Store leftovers for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469Total Fat: 38.8gSaturated Fat: 15.5gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 7.1gNet Carbohydrates: 5.7gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 3gProtein: 25.9g