Enjoy a delicious Keto Poke Cake in the form of a flag. It makes the perfect Patriotic keto dessert to bring to a 4th of July or Memorial Day BBQ.
What’s more, this keto flag cake will be a hit with everyone, even if they are not doing a low-carb diet. Why? Because it’s filled with all the flavors we love during the warmer months.
Are you wondering what exactly is a poke cake? Well, poke cakes used to be all the rage in the 1970s. A poke is simply a baked cake that has been poked with holes and then filled with Jello, pudding, or pureed fruit.
Although poke cakes had their heyday in the 70s, that’s not to say they aren’t still popular. In fact, a quick search will render all sorts of variations of this American classic dessert.
What’s especially nice about a poke cake is that it can be customized easily depending on the flavor of your cake and /or the jello you use. And it’s why it’s especially popular during the holidays.
Most poke cake recipes start with a boxed cake but in order to make this a low carb poke cake, we used our recipe for Keto Cream Cheese Pound Cake as the base.
You can also use our recipe for Keto Cream Cheese Coconut Flour Pound Cake if you prefer a nut-free option. In which case you simply bake your cake in a 10×10 inch baking pan because this recipe makes a smaller cake.
Thankfully, I have a complete list of Keto Cakes and many of those cakes could be turned easily into a poke cake that is low in carbs.
Keto Poke Cake
As enticing as a poke cake is, if my family was going to enjoy a poke cake, it would have to be a keto jello poke cake. And what better time to share this recipe than during a Holiday?
The warmer holidays should be the perfect time to relax and enjoy each other’s company, but our fast-paced schedules can sometimes hinder what should come naturally.
The 4th of July and Memorial Day bring a much-needed break and an opportunity to recharge our batteries with family and friends. I am sharing this keto-friendly poke cake to give you a healthy sugar-free option the entire family can enjoy.
Beautiful things happen when we slow down enough to engage in meaningful conversations around food. So many of my greatest memories can be traced back to the holidays.
Low Carb Poke Cake
While holidays can be filled with fun opportunities, they can spell disaster if you are trying to lose weight or simply eat healthy. Thankfully, on a keto diet, it’s easier to stay on course by simply doing a little planning ahead of time.
I love sharing my low-carb keto dishes when invited to a BBQ or gathering.
Can you think of anything more special than a beautiful, delicious low carb poke cake in the form of a flag? But this keto poke cake can also be made into cupcakes, loaves, and even bundt cakes.
Not needing it to be a flag cake? No problem just decorate the top of your cake with your choice of berries. I promise you that this cake will be the highlight of the meal.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
How To Make A Keto Flag Poke Cake
The first step in making a Keto Flag Poke Cake is to determine if your cake is going to be an almond flour cake or a coconut flour cake. The recipe included is for the almond flour version. Here is the recipe for Keto coconut flour pound cake in case you prefer a nut-free option.
Since this is a sugar-free poke cake the gelatin needs to be a sugar-free option. I opted for Jello Strawberry Gelatin
A few important tips to keep in mind when making this keto poke cake is to make sure that you allow your cake to fully cool before poking. If you poke the cake too soon it can cause the cake to fall apart.
Once your keto cake is cooled you then poke the entire surface of the cake every 1/2 inch with a skewer or fork. Then simply pour your gelatin over the cake and spread it evenly.
I like allowing my gelatin to set slightly before pouring it over the cake. Although that’s not necessary when making a traditional poke cake, I feel that it makes a difference when making a keto one.
While you wait for the jello to set make the whipped topping by combining the heavy whipping cream, sugar substitute, and softened cream cheese.
Beat on high using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. The addition of the cream cheese will help stabilize the whipping cream.
Once the cake has been fully chilled you can then top the cake with the whipped topping. Making sure to spread evenly across the surface of the cake.
How To Store Your Keto Poke Cake
Because this cake has jello in it, it must be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep wrapped well with cling wrap for up to 4 days. It can also be frozen for up to 3 weeks.
Personally, I recommend that if you are going to freeze the cake, that you do so without the whipped topping or berries. Then simply defrost overnight in the fridge and add the topping afterward.
Don’t Forget To Tag Us
Also, make sure you check out our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books!
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s our prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Randy and I came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective, it’s the filter we choose to see from. When we decided to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s lead to embrace the ketogenic diet and to combine it with our faith, we got on the path to real transformation.
If you are looking for a Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives we invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Favorite Keto Tip
Arming yourself with keto recipes is certainly key in doing this diet long enough to see the many benefits. But even with the best low carb ketogenic recipes sometimes additional help is needed.
This is when we also encourage you to have the right supplements to help you get and stay in ketosis. Because when you have the right tools the keto diet becomes easier.
Perhaps you’ve struggled to get into ketosis consistently on your low carb keto diet, or you’ve hit a plateau that doesn’t seem to budge, consider using Perfect KETO’s bundle to assist you. It’s a great way to see the benefits sooner rather than later.
You’ll learn how to elevate your ketones naturally enter into ketosis more quickly. Being at a deeper level of ketosis will help reduce your appetite, carb cravings, and give you lasting energy. These are the things you want to see happen as they make this diet sustainable and it’s why we recommend them.
Perfect Keto has offered our readers a 15% discount on their products. Simply use this link and the code FITTOSERVE at checkout.
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 cups of sugar substitute
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 8 eggs
- 8 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- One 6 ounce package sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup of softened cream cheese
- 4 teaspoons of sugar substitute
Strawberry & Blueberry Topping:
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Measure and set aside the almond flour, baking powder, sea salt.
- In a mixing bowl mix using an electric mixer set to high beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar substitute and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Next add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each egg addition as well as the vanilla extract.
- Then add all the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- In a well- greased 9" x 13" cake pan bake cake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow cake to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the gelatin according to the directions on the box using ice water.
- Allow the gelatin to set in the fridge slightly, for about 30 minutes. The gelatin should still be loose and only just beginning to set. It should still be pourable.
- Then poke the entire surface of the cake every 1/2 inch with a skewer or fork. Slowly pour and spread the gelatin over the entire cake. Ensuring that the cake soaks up all the gelatin.
- Allow the cake to chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to completely set.
- While the cake is setting make the whipped topping by combining the heavy whipping cream, sugar substitute and softened cream cheese. Beat on high using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. The addition of the cream cheese will help stabilize the whipping cream.
- Once the cake has been fully chilled you can then top the cake with the whipped topping. Making sure to spread evenly across the surface of the cake.
- Decorate your poke sliced strawberries and blue berries in a flag pattern. Using the blueberries to represent the stars and the strawberries to represent the stripes.
- Store the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Info: (per Serving) 300 Calories, 22.5g Fat, 5.1g Total Carbs (2.5 g Fiber), 6.2g Protein
If you are wanting a keto nut-free version of a poke cake use our recipe for Keto Cream Cheese Coconut Flour Pound Cake Bake the cake in a 10X10 inch baking pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 22.5gCarbohydrates: 5.1gNet Carbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 6.2g