This recipe for keto 7 layer salad is super easy and it’s a perfect 24-hour salad allowing you to make it in advance. Make a low carb (seven-layer salad) recipe and impress your family and friends.
I hope to bring back a little Americana with this simple classic recipe that’s had a little bit of a makeover. It’s a recipe for keto layered salad.
Not familiar with layered salads? How about the Seven Layer Salad? No? That’s probably because it was kind of a big deal in the 1970s, and once our country went low-fat, well it kinda vanished.
Layered salads used to be all the rage before all the fat-fearing caused our country to ban even healthy forms of fats.
But I am on a mission to try to change this. Because frankly, layered salads deserve a comeback.
That being said, they can use a few healthy updates. This is why my recipe is a low-carb layered salad.
Keto Seven Layer Salad
When it comes to layered salads, they typically include a colorful combo of at least seven layers and it’s served in a transparent glass bowl to showcase these layers.
Although, seven layers are really only a starting point if you ask me.
Because you can really go to town when making this type of salad. And if it’s a keto-friendly 7 layer salad, I say why not?
Traditionally, this salad includes layers of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, and peas. It’s then topped with a mayonnaise/sour cream dressing.
Everything in a typical seven-layer salad works on a keto diet, except the peas. So, my recipe for keto layered salad obviously won’t include them.
7 Layer Salad Keto
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The other thing to keep in mind when making a recipe for keto layered salad is to aim to use a high-quality mayo. Personally, I love using ones that are made with avocado oil.
Using avocado oil has the added benefit of being rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to decrease oxidative stress, improve mitochondrial function, reduce inflammation, and support cardiovascular help.
Another option to use on your keto layered salad is baconnaise, which’s mayo that uses bacon fat.
The point is to use mayonnaise that does not use GMO-loaded soybean oil.
What makes this keto layered salad a great crowd-pleaser, is that it can be assembled the night before, like even 24 hours before. Who wouldn’t love that convenience?
The top layer of dressing serves as a seal and helps keep the vegetables below fresh. Since you don’t mix the salad until ready to serve, the vegetables remain crisp.
Assembling a keto layered 24 salad makes it a stress-free option for when you need a crowd-pleasing salad.
Low Carb 7 Layer Salads
You may be too young to remember or maybe it’s been forever since you participated in a church pot-luck, but a layered salad always made it to large casual gatherings.
Probably because of the convenience that a layered salad can be made hours ahead of time and it can feed a large crowd.
I can’t really put my finger the first time I had a layered salad but, I’m pretty certain it must have been at a church luncheon.
It seems like church and food have always gone together. There’s no denying that food has a way of uniting people. AND the opportunity for lots of great fellowships to occur when we share a meal.
I mean even the early church gave us this example.
So, I am a fan of church gatherings that include food.
But here’s the thing….
Unfortunately, a lot of what is served after a church service is not healthy. Like not even a little bit healthy.
I must tell you that this really concerns me.
The body of Christ as a whole needs to do a better job of teaching people how to take better care of the temple.
AND the foundation needs to be a willingness to examine the foods we eat.
Thankfully, I see hope arising. AND our church is one that is aiming to get this right.
We must be vigilant when it comes to choosing the foods we allow into our diet. since they have a direct correlation to our health.
How To Make A Keto 7 Layer Salad
Creating a low-carb layered salad is very easy as long as you keep the following in mind.
- The base of the keto layered salad should be either iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- Make sure to cut all your ingredients into bite-sized pieces.
- Use only ingredients that are low in carbs and keto-friendly.
- Add the layer of dressing to the top of the salad.
- Don’t toss the salad until ready to serve.
The next time you’re invited to a picnic, church potluck, or need to bring a dish to a party consider this easy crowd pleaser!
Oh, and do try making a week’s worth in individual mason jars. They keep well and make a great low-carb keto lunch option.
Be sure to also check out our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books!
In case you don’t know we have two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s our prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Do you know that it wasn’t until Randy and I began to combine the promises of God’s word about healing and changed our diet to a ketogenic one, that we finally began to see our health improve?
By cutting out the junk and focussing on real foods we gave our bodies the nutrition it needed. Then our bodies did what God designed them to do, to heal themselves. This is what we believe it means to live in divine health.
This act of obedience is what birthed the ministry of Fittoserve Group. Today, we are seeing thousands of lives impacted and the ripple effect of our decision to combine our Christian faith with the keto diet is making a difference in ways we may never know this side of eternity.
Favorite Keto Meal Planner
If you’ve been looking for an easy way to meal plan, consider checking out my review on Real Plans.
By using a keto meal planner you will free up your time by streamlining the process. I hope you agree with me that the last thing anyone needs, is to spend hours attempting to put a meal plan together.
Real Plans will finally put an end to frustrating hours of trying to create healthy meals. After all, we all know how challenging it can be to meet the demands of our full lives.
I love how Real Plans understands that the average busy person has no clue how to meal plan successfully, let alone consistently. Plus you can even use our Keto Recipes to form to create your weekly meal plans.
- 1 ½ heads of iceberg lettuce
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 packages of bacon cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large cucumbers chopped or sliced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar substitute (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook your bacon until crisp and then slice into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon to garnish the top of the salad
- Make the dressing: In a separate bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar substitute, salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Combine until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Chop the iceberg lettuce and set it aside.
- Chop or slice the hard-boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Optional reserve a few slices to add to garnish the top of the salad.
- Peel and slice the cucumber and set aside.
- Chop the green onions and set them aside. Reserve a couple of tablespoons to garnish the top of the salad.
- Slice the onion and set it aside.
- Begin to layer the salad by adding the chopped lettuce to the bottom of the bowl of a large salad bowl or a large trifle dish
- Next, add the cucumber layer. Lightly press down the cucumber layer into the lettuce.
- Add the layer of chopped green onions being sure to spread evenly.
- Add the red onion layer.
- Add the cherry tomatoes using a small plate press these layers lightly.
- Add the shredded carrots.
- Add the sliced boiled eggs.
- Next, add the bacon pieces being sure to cover the surface of the salad completely.
- Add the dressing being sure to top the entire surface of the salad.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese to cover the top of the salad.
- Garnish the top of the salad with reserved bacon, green onions, and egg slices.
- Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve. This salad can be made ahead up of 36 hours.
- Once ready to serve simply toss the salad so that layers get covered in the dressing.
This keto 7 layer salad can be eaten right away or served up to 36 hours later as long as the salad is not tossed prior.
You'll need a large salad bowl or large trifle dish to layer the salad in.
You can also make individual salads by layering the salad in mason jars. These keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days as long as you do not mix the salad till it’s time to eat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 33.9gSaturated Fat: 13.2gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 8.8gNet Carbohydrates: 7.1gFiber: 1gSugar: 3.4gProtein: 23.4g