This keto Mexican chicken is a recipe for flavorful shredded chicken seasoned with Mexican spices. It’s quick and easy to make, and it’s packed with flavor.
A simple keto recipe made in 30 minutes or less. The chicken is seared and poached for a moist, tender chicken.
At only 1 net carb per serving, it’s a keto chicken recipe that is virtually carb-free!
Creating low-carb meals that the whole family will embrace is always a goal of mine. After all, no one wants to cook two separate meals for their family.
Since anything Mexican is considered a popular recipe in our home, it’s the best way to keep everyone happy and it’s a great option for this busy momma.
Be sure to check out our entire collection of keto chicken recipes for more delicious options!
Keto Mexican Chicken
This low-carb Mexican chicken is the perfect base for so many different keto-friendly Mexican dishes. The best part
Add the shredded chicken to your favorite low-carb tortilla or lettuce wrap.
Or place the Mexican shredded keto chicken in a casserole dish and load it up with keto diet approved toppings like; green chilis, green onions, cheddar cheese, and sour cream for easy keto Mexican food the entire family will approve of!
You can even add this Mexican shredded chicken to a simple salad for a light keto dinner recipe. Honestly, the options are endless.
The best part is that it’s all possible with simple ingredients.
It’s a keto recipe that will make meal prep a delicious breeze.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Keto Mexican Chicken
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The following are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe. Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page along with the nutritional information.
- Chicken breast or chicken thighs that are skinless and boneless
- Low sodium chicken stock
- Chili powder
- Paprika powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cumin powder
- Ground black pepper
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
How To Make Keto Mexican Shredded Chicken
Making this recipe for Mexican keto chicken is pretty straightforward.
You’ll start by combining the dry seasonings in a small bowl. The spices are basically chicken taco seasonings.
Then you’ll need to coat the chicken on both sides well with the dry taco seasoning.
Next, it’s time to cook the chicken breasts in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat.
Allow the chicken to sear for a few minutes on each side. Then, pour the chicken stock into the skillet and cover. You’ll be poaching the chicken in the seasoned broth. It’s a great way to infuse more flavor into your chicken while keeping it nice a juicy.
Cook the chicken in the broth for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken should reach 165 degrees on an instant thermometer to be considered safe to eat.
Once cooked, remove the chicken from the skillet, and shred the chicken using two forks, an electric mixer, or a stand-up mixer.
Then return the shredded chicken to the skillet and stir well to coat the chicken in the remaining sauce in the skillet.
How To Shred Chicken Quickly
I am including three ways you can shred your chicken easily. Having these quick techniques is a good idea if you plan on making a double or triple batch of this recipe.
- Two-Forks– Once the chicken is fully cooked, you’ll shred the chicken by taking it out of the pan and using the two-fork method, where you hold one end of the chicken while you pull the other fork across the flesh of the chicken until it shreds.
- Food Processor: If you have a large food processor, this method works like a charm. Simply add the chicken and process until it shreds.
- Stand-up Mixer/Hand Mixer– You can also shred the chicken in a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment or a handheld one. This happens to be my favorite since it’s so quick.
How To Store Shredded Chicken
Making this recipe ahead of time is the perfect way to prep your meals.
Once the shredded chicken has completely cooled, simply store it in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to three days or in the freezer for up to 8 weeks.
I recommend you portion out what you’ll use and freeze it in the appropriate sizes this way you can simply grab the cooked and seasoned chicken and use it in your favorite keto Mexican dishes.
I sure hope you will give this keto Mexican chicken recipe a try. Once you do, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. Doing so is what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Consider visiting also visiting our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books!
It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision, we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives.
We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days) We hope it blesses you.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl combine all of the dry seasonings to make a chicken taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Coat the chicken on both sides with the chicken taco seasoning.
- In a large skillet drizzle the olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Next, pour the chicken stock and cover the skillet.
- Allow the chicken to cook in the broth for about 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. The chicken should reach 165 degrees on an instant thermometer to be considered safe to eat.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet, and shred the chicken using two forks, an electric mixer, or a stand-up mixer. Then return to the skillet. Stir to coat the chicken in the remaining sauce in the skillet.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to eight weeks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 12.3gSaturated Fat: 2.9gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 1.7gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 0.5gProtein: 33.9g