This recipe for keto 7 layer salad is super easy and it’s a perfect 24-hour salad allowing you to make it in advance. Make a low carb (seven-layer salad) recipe and impress your family and friends.
I hope to bring back a little Americana with this simple classic recipe that’s had a little bit of a makeover. It’s a recipe for keto layered salad.
Not familiar with layered salads? How about the Seven Layer Salad? No? That’s probably because it was kind of a big deal in the 1970s, and once our country went low-fat, well it kinda vanished.
Layered salads used to be all the rage before all the fat-fearing caused our country to ban even healthy forms of fats.
But I am on a mission to try to change this. Because frankly, layered salads deserve a comeback.
That being said, they can use a few healthy updates. This is why my recipe is a low-carb layered salad.
Keto Seven Layer Salad
When it comes to layered salads, they typically include a colorful combo of at least seven layers, and it’s served in a transparent glass bowl to showcase these layers.
Although, seven layers are really only a starting point if you ask me.
Because you can really go to town when making this type of salad. And if it’s a keto-friendly 7-layer salad, I say why not?
Traditionally, this salad includes layers of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, sharp cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, and peas. It’s then topped with a mayonnaise/sour cream dressing.
Everything in a typical seven-layer salad works on a keto diet, except the peas. So, my recipe for keto layered salad obviously won’t include them.
7 Layer Salad Keto
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The other thing to keep in mind when making a recipe for keto layered salad is to aim to use high-quality mayo. Personally, I love using ones that are made with avocado oil.
Using avocado oil has the added benefit of being rich in monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to decrease oxidative stress, improve mitochondrial function, reduce inflammation, and support cardiovascular help.
Another option to use in your keto layered salad is baconnaise, which is mayo that uses bacon fat.
The point is to use mayonnaise that does not use GMO-loaded soybean oil.
What makes this keto layered salad a great crowd-pleaser, is that it can be assembled the night before, like even 24 hours before. Who wouldn’t love that convenience?
The top layer of dressing serves as a seal and helps keep the vegetables below fresh. Since you don’t mix the salad until ready to serve, the vegetables remain crisp.
Assembling a keto layered 24 salad makes it a stress-free option for when you need a crowd-pleasing salad.
Low Carb 7 Layer Salads
You may be too young to remember or maybe it’s been forever since you participated in a church pot-luck, but a layered salad always made it to large casual gatherings.
Probably because of the convenience that a layered salad can be made hours ahead of time and it can feed a large crowd.
I can’t really put my finger on the first time I had a layered salad, but I’m pretty certain it must have been at a church luncheon.
It seems like church and food have always gone together. There’s no denying that food has a way of uniting people. And the opportunity for lots of great fellowships to occur when we share a meal.
I mean even the early church gave us this example.
So, I am a fan of church gatherings that include food.
But here’s the thing….
Unfortunately, a lot of what is served after a church service is not healthy. Like not even a little bit healthy.
I must tell you that this really concerns me.
The body of Christ as a whole needs to do a better job of teaching people how to take better care of the temple.
And the foundation needs to be a willingness to examine the foods we eat.
Thankfully, I see hope arising. AND our church is one that is aiming to get this right.
I love how our pastors have embraced the message of Jesus and Keto. They have seen firsthand the need for a private Facebook group like Fittoservegoup.
We must be vigilant when it comes to choosing the foods we allow into our diet. since they have a direct correlation with our health.
How To Make A Keto 7 Layer Salad
Creating a low-carb layered salad is very easy as long as you keep the following in mind.
- The base of the keto layered salad should be either iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- Make sure to cut all your ingredients into bite-sized pieces.
- Use only ingredients that are low in carbs and keto-friendly.
- Add the layer of dressing to the top of the salad.
- Don’t toss the salad until ready to serve.
The next time you’re invited to a picnic, church potluck, or need to bring a dish to a party consider this easy crowd pleaser!
Oh, and do try making a week’s worth in individual mason jars. They keep well and make a great low-carb keto lunch option.
I sure hope you will give this recipe a try. Once you do, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Be sure to also check out our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books & Keto App
In case you don’t know, we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts, both inspired by your requests over the years.
It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Gain access to simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts with our FITTOSERVEGROUP APP.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision, we have created a closed Christian group using the keto diet to transform their lives.
We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days). We hope it blesses you.
Keto Layered Salad
This delicious keto 7 layer salad recipe includes seven layers of fresh low in carbs salad vegetables, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, and sharp cheddar cheese and topped with an easy mayo and sour cream dressing. It's the perfect crowd pleaser make-ahead saladl
- 1 ½ heads of iceberg lettuce
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 2 packages of bacon cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 2 pints of cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large cucumbers chopped or sliced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup full fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon sugar substitute (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Cook your bacon until crisp and then slice into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon to garnish the top of the salad
- Make the dressing: In a separate bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar substitute, salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar. Combine until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Chop the iceberg lettuce and set it aside.
- Chop or slice the hard-boiled eggs and season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Optional reserve a few slices to add to garnish the top of the salad.
- Peel and slice the cucumber and set aside.
- Chop the green onions and set them aside. Reserve a couple of tablespoons to garnish the top of the salad.
- Slice the onion and set it aside.
- Begin to layer the salad by adding the chopped lettuce to the bottom of the bowl of a large salad bowl or a large trifle dish
- Next, add the cucumber layer. Lightly press down the cucumber layer into the lettuce.
- Add the layer of chopped green onions being sure to spread evenly.
- Add the red onion layer.
- Add the cherry tomatoes using a small plate press these layers lightly.
- Add the shredded carrots.
- Add the sliced boiled eggs.
- Next, add the bacon pieces being sure to cover the surface of the salad completely.
- Add the dressing being sure to top the entire surface of the salad.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese to cover the top of the salad.
- Garnish the top of the salad with reserved bacon, green onions, and egg slices.
- Refrigerate the salad until ready to serve. This salad can be made ahead up of 36 hours.
- Once ready to serve simply toss the salad so that layers get covered in the dressing.
This keto 7 layer salad can be eaten right away or served up to 36 hours later as long as the salad is not tossed prior.
You'll need a large salad bowl or large trifle dish to layer the salad in.
You can also make individual salads by layering the salad in mason jars. These keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days as long as you do not mix the salad till it’s time to eat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 33.9gSaturated Fat: 13.2gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 8.8gNet Carbohydrates: 7.1gFiber: 1gSugar: 3.4gProtein: 23.4g
Wednesday 25th of September 2019
This is now one of my families favorite dishes from Grandma. Tonight will be the 5th time I have made this in the last 4 months. Thank-you, thank-you.
Wednesday 25th of September 2019
Hi Trish, this makes me so happy. Glad it’s because a favorite with your family.
Monday 17th of June 2019
picture did not show in layers, beautiful salad when layered, carrots was not in directions, person I made salad for did not want carrots so I used zucchini.
Monday 8th of March 2021
Hi Barbara, the recipe has been updated to show the carrots and boiled eggs layer.
Tuesday 18th of June 2019
Hi Barbara, that's the beauty of this salad that it can be easily customized.
Tuesday 21st of May 2019
When are the tomatoes added?
Thursday 23rd of May 2019
Sorry about that. I just updated the post just add the tomatoes before you add the cheese layer.
Sunday 4th of November 2018
Is there anything else I could use in place of the white wine?
Sunday 4th of November 2018
Hi Stacy, I’m glad you reached out. That’s supposed to be white wine vinegar. So any vinegar will do. I’ll update the post to reflect this. Thanks
Tuesday 21st of April 2015
Sounds so good! Yum! :)