This keto Philly cheesesteak casserole has all the flavor you love from a traditional Philly cheesesteak minus all the carbs.
Plus, it’s baked in a casserole for ease. It’s a keto casserole recipe that can be made in under 40 minutes.
It’s easy, extra cheesy, and delicious. What more can you ask for in a casserole?
At only 6.6 net carbs per serving, this may not be a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, but it’s a low-carb casserole that is sure to fool your tastebuds.
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
If you’re a fan of keto casseroles, you’ll love this low-carb Philly cheesesteak casserole.
This low-carb Philly cheesesteak casserole is packed with shaved beef steak, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and a creamy provolone cheese sauce, making this a hearty and filling keto casserole.
Packed with shaved beef steak, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and a creamy provolone cheese sauce, makes this is a hearty and filling keto casserole.
It’s as close to an authentic Philly cheesesteak as you’ll get while doing keto.
All the flavor is there and I promise you won’t even miss the bun!
I made the casserole with shaved beef steak because it’s tender beef, but it can be substituted for sirloin steak, ribeye steak slices, thin strips of flank steak, or even ground beef if you prefer.
Any of these meat choices would work well in a baking dish, making it a versatile Philly cheesesteak casserole.
It’s the perfect dish to include in your meal prep since it’s sure to be a recipe the whole family will enjoy, even if they are not on a low carb diet.
This makes an easy dinner, and it’s a great way to enjoy a Philly cheesesteak recipe in a comforting casserole.
Ingredients Needed To Make A Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
The following are the simple ingredients you’ll need to make an easy Philly cheesesteak casserole that is low in carbs and considered keto-friendly.
Note that the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
- Shaved beef steak
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Unsalted butter
- Onion, sliced
- Bell pepper cut into slices
- Small mushrooms, sliced I used baby Bella
- Garlic cloves
- Beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- Cream cheese that is cut into cubes and allowed to come to room temperature
- Shredded Provolone cheese
How To Make Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
This casserole comes together easily making a great choice for busy weekdays.
The recipe doubles simply which also makes it a fantastic option when you want to impress your guests. It’s a true crowd pleaser!
You’ll start by seasoning the shaved steak with salt and pepper and then slice it into bite sizes.
Next, you’ll heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
To the heated olive oil, you’ll add the garlic, slice mushrooms, sliced onions, and peppers, and cook until the vegetables are tender.
Then place the cooked vegetables into a small bowl and set it aside.
To cook the shaved steak, heat the reserved oil and one tablespoon of butter in the same large skillet you cooked the vegetables.
Cook over medium-high heat until the steak is lightly browned, stirring a few times.
Next, add the cooked vegetables back into the skillet along with the cooked steak and combine well.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then proceed to make the cheese sauce.
Keto Provolone Cheese Sauce
To make the cheesy provolone sauce, in a small saucepan add the remaining butter and melt.
To the saucepan add the beef broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Next, you’ll reduce the heat to medium and add the cream cheese to the broth.
Cook, whisking often until the cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated into the broth.
Reduce the heat to low and add half the shredded provolone cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce.
Once the sauce is ready, you’ll add the cheese sauce to the steak mixture and stir to combine.
Next, transfer the steak mixture into a casserole dish and top with the remaining shredded provolone cheese.
Then you’ll bake the casserole for about 30 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and heated through.
I then recommend broiling on high for 3-5 minutes, until the casserole is lightly golden brown. Be sure to serve it hot for the best flavor.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days in a refrigerator.
It’s what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books & APP
In case you don’t know we have authored two books for you, Essential Keto Bread and Essential Keto Desserts both inspired by your requests over the years. It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Gain access to simple and delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts with our FITTOSERVEGROUP APP.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days) We hope it blesses you.
- 1 pound of shaved steak
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 ounces of small mushrooms, sliced I used baby Bella
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces of cream cheese cut into cubes and allowed to come to room temperature
- 16 ounces shredded provolone cheese, divided
- Season the shaved steak with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then slice it into bite sizes.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, sliced mushrooms, sliced onions, and peppers to the skillet and cook until the vegetables are tender. Place the cooked vegetables into a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Heat the reserved oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in the same large skillet you cooked the vegetables. Over medium-high heat, cook the steak until lightly browned, being sure to stir a few times while cooking. Turn off the heat and add the cooked vegetables back into the skillet and combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Proceed to make the cheese sauce.
- In a small saucepan add the remaining butter and melt. To the saucepan add the beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the room temperature cream cheese. Cook the sauce by whisking often until the cream cheese is melted snd fully incorporated into the broth.
- Reduce the heat to low and add 1/2 shredded provolone cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the cheese sauce to the steak mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer the steak mixture into a casserole dish and top with the remaining shredded provolone cheese.
- Next, bake the casserole for 30 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and heated through.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes on high to lightly brown the casserole. Serve hot for best results.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. I do not recommend freezing this casserole since the cheese sauce will separate once it thaws.
I made the casserole with shaved beef steak because it's tender beef, but it can be substituted for sirloin steak, ribeye steak slices, thin strips of flank steak, or even ground beef if you prefer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 635Total Fat: 52.1gSaturated Fat: 28gSodium: 1200mgCarbohydrates: 7.9gNet Carbohydrates: 6.6gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 2.9g