This keto egg roll in a bowl is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional egg rolls.
It takes the flavor profile of Chinese food and turns it into a low-carb meal the whole family can enjoy.
It’s a recipe that incorporates the cabbage filling that is similar to a traditional egg roll minus the egg roll wrapper that’s packed with carbs and gluten.
Traditional egg rolls have nothing on this deconstructed keto egg roll. Rather than Chinese takeout with loads of carbs, a serving of this recipe has only 7.2 net carbs.
The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is to bring dinner to the table. It takes 30 minutes or less to make, making it a great meal prep recipe for busy weeknights.
Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
Our recipe calls for lean ground beef, garlic, onions, ginger, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, shredded cabbage, sesame oil, sriracha sauce, and green onions.
These ingredients are all low in carbs and high in flavor, making this dish a great option for those who are looking for a healthy and tasty meal.
Plus, it’s a recipe that can be customized to your family’s needs, like swapping the soy sauce for liquid coconut aminos for a gluten-free option and leaving out the sriracha sauce so that children can also enjoy it.
Although an Asian egg roll is traditionally served as an appetizer, we made this into a complete meal so that those who are following a low-carb or keto diet or anyone who wants to enjoy a flavorful and satisfying meal can do so simply.
It’s the quickest keto-friendly recipe you can make with stir-fry flair. This low-carb egg roll in a bowl may be low in carbs compared to the egg rolls from your favorite Chinese restaurant, but it’ll still be packed with Asian flavors.
Ingredients Needed To Make Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Note the full printable recipe card is at the bottom of the page.
The following is a list of ingredients necessary to make the keto egg roll in a bowl.
- Lean ground beef to keep it also lower in fat
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Onions, finely chopped
- Minced fresh ginger paste or minced ginger
- Low-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- Apple cider vinegar
- Shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chinese Five spice
- Black pepper
- Toasted sesame oil for added flavor
- Sesame seeds for garnish are optional, but add a nice crunch and nutty flavor. I used a combo of black and white sesame seeds.
- Sriracha sauce is added for some heat but can be left.
- Green onions, add a level of freshness and flavor
How To Make Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
Browning The Beef And Adding Vegetables
To start, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add one pound of lean ground beef and brown until it’s almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Then, add one cup of finely chopped onions, three minced garlic cloves, and minced ginger, and saute for about 2 minutes.
Next, add two tablespoons of water, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sriracha sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, Chinese five spice, salt, and pepper.
Adding The Sauce And Cabbage
Stir well and then add the shredded cabbage to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low for about 10 minutes.
Feel free to add the other two tablespoons of water if you need more moisture to cook down the cabbage.
During this time, the cabbage will soften and absorb the flavors from the sauce. Stir occasionally to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
After 10 minutes, it’s time to add the finishing touches. Fold in the chopped green onions and one teaspoon of toasted sesame oil. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
Finishing And Serving
Before serving, sprinkle one tablespoon of sesame seeds on top for garnish (optional). This will add a nice crunch and nutty flavor to the dish.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. However, it’s not recommended to freeze the leftovers as it can make the cabbage soggy.
If you plan to store the leftovers, it is essential to transfer them to an airtight container once they have cooled to room temperature. This can help prevent bacteria growth and keep the dish fresh for longer.
When reheating the leftovers, it is best to use a microwave-safe container and cover it with a lid or microwave-safe wrap. Reheat the dish in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until it is heated through. Stir the dish halfway through the reheating process to ensure that it is heated evenly.
It is important to note that the texture of the dish may change slightly after it has been refrigerated and reheated. However, the flavor should remain the same and it can still be enjoyed as a delicious and healthy meal option.
For a twist on this recipe, swap the ground beef for ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken for other protein variations.
Add more vegetables such as broccoli florets, carrots, or zucchini chopped into small pieces.
I sure hope you will give this keto-friendly egg roll in a bowl a try. Once you do, make sure you remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. Doing so is what keeps this girl encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting her recipes.
Consider visiting also visiting our Amazon Store for recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Grab Our Books!
It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Looking for an online support system to help you stay the course on keto? As a family, we came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective. As believers, we live our lives supported by God’s grace.
So when the Holy Spirit led us to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s prompting, we got on the path to real transformation.
Knowing firsthand the benefits of this decision, we have created a closed Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives. We invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days). We hope it blesses you.
Fittoservegroup Keto App
Looking for a fast way to access our keto recipes? We got you covered. There’s an app for that. Yup, there’s a Fit To Serve Group App, and it’s going to make your keto diet a delicious breeze!
Access hundreds of recipes that are all sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Enjoy early access to recipes before they go live on the website. Plus, bonus recipes that are exclusive to the app. Make your own personal cookbooks that you can use to organize your favorite recipes.
Search recipes by title, ingredients, keywords, and categories, and of course, every recipe shows complete nutritional facts.
Get the Fit to Serve Group App for easy-to-follow keto recipes made with easy-to-source ingredients.
The app is loaded with hundreds of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
Learn more by visiting our Fit To Serve Group App Page.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of 85% lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon of minced fresh ginger paste or minced ginger
- 1/4 cup of low-sodium soy sauce or liquid coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 14 ounces of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of Chinese five spice
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons of sriracha sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons of water
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds for garnish, I used a combo of black and white (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the two tablespoons of olive oil and brown the ground beef until it's almost cooked through, about 5 minutes,
- Add the chopped onion and garlic, and ginger and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add two tablespoons of water, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sriracha sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, Chinese five spice, salt, and pepper. Stir well and then add shredded cabbage to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low for about 10 minutes. Feel free to add the other two tablespoons of water if you need more moisture to cook down the cabbage.
- Move the cabbage to the side of the pan and add the egg to scramble, then combine well with the filling.
- Before serving, sprinkle the green onions over the top and drizzle the toasted sesame seed oil. Lastly, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing the leftovers as it can make the cabbage soggy.
Swap the ground beef for ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken for other protein variations.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 7.2gFiber: 3.8gProtein: 23.6g