If you’re looking for a delicious and satisfying keto meal, look no further than this recipe for keto mushroom chicken.
With a crispy almond flour and parmesan coating, and a creamy mushroom sauce, this dish is sure to become a new favorite. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be ready in under 30 minutes.
It’s a creamy mushroom chicken recipe the whole family will love, and even if you’re not on a low carb diet, you will want to add it to your meal prep planner.
This keto mushroom chicken has only 4 g net carbs; it’s the perfect dish for any mushroom lover on a keto diet.
It’s an easy chicken mushroom recipe, as the chicken and sauce are all made in one pan.
Making it a low-carb dish you can bring to the table quickly. Enjoy on busy weeknights or for special occasions when you have more family members over.
Be sure to visit our keto chicken recipes for more delicious options.
Keto Mushroom Chicken
Not only is this an easy dish, but it’s also packed with protein and healthy fats, making it a great option for anyone following a keto or low-carb diet.
Plus, the combination of chicken and mushrooms is a classic flavor pairing that’s sure to please even picky eaters.
The recipe calls for flattened chicken breasts, but feel free to use skinless chicken thighs if that’s your preference.
But the real star of the show is the mushroom sauce. Made with butter, garlic, sliced mushrooms, heavy cream, and chicken broth, this sauce is rich, creamy, and bursting with flavor.
The sauce is thickened with a combo of heavy cream and parmesan cheese without the need to add flour or cornstarch, allowing it to not only be low in carbs but gluten-free!
I promise it’s just as flavorful a sauce as its high-carb counterpart. You’re welcome!
Ingredients Needed To Make Keto Mushroom Chicken
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make the keto mushroom chicken. Note that the full printable recipe card, along with the nutritional facts, is at the bottom of the page.
- Large boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved horizontally
- Almond flour, finely milled
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Cooking oil
Keto Mushroom Sauce
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic cloves
- Sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- Heavy whipping cream
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish or even fresh thyme
How To Make Keto-Friendly Mushroom Chicken
In a small shallow bowl, combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian spices, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, the bread coating for the boneless chicken breasts, and set it aside.
In another small shallow bowl, whisk the whole egg with the water for the egg wash.
Next, carefully coat the breast on both sides with the egg wash, dip the chicken cutlets into the breadcrumb mixture, lay the chicken in the coating, turn it over, and press the chicken breasts into the breading to coat well.
Then shake off the excess breading.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Cook each chicken breast for about two minutes without turning until lightly golden brown.
Then flip the chicken and cook until equally brown on the other side, about two minutes more. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.
Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set it aside while you prepare the mushroom sauce.
The result will be a crispy, flavorful chicken that’s perfect for pairing with the creamy mushroom sauce.
It’s guaranteed to become your next favorite keto chicken recipe!
Type Of Mushrooms That Work Well In This Recipe
I chose to use baby Bella mushrooms for this recipe. However, you can use a variety of fresh mushrooms or even a combination.
The following are some of my recommendations that work well for this creamy sauce.
- Cremini mushrooms
- Shiitake mushrooms
- White button mushrooms
Making the Keto Mushroom Sauce
To make the keto mushroom sauce, start by melting the unsalted butter in the same pan you cooked the chicken in over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic cloves and sliced mushrooms (I used baby Bella mushrooms).
Cook until the mushrooms are tender and the garlic is fragrant, which should take about 5 minutes.
Next, add the heavy cream, chicken broth, and finely grated parmesan cheese to the pan. Stir the mixture until the cheese is melted and the sauce is heated through.
Simmer the sauce for about five minutes or until it thickens to your desired consistency.
Finally, add two tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley to the sauce for garnish. Serve the mushroom sauce over the chicken cutlets.
This keto mushroom sauce is quick and easy to make, with only a handful of ingredients needed.
The heavy cream and parmesan cheese give the sauce a rich and creamy texture, while the mushrooms add a savory and earthy flavor to the dish.
Once you have prepared this delicious keto mushroom chicken, there are a variety of ways to serve it. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Serve the chicken with a side of asparagus salad, zucchini noodles, or roasted vegetables for a complete and nutritious meal.
- If you’re looking for a heartier meal, try serving the chicken with some cauliflower mash or cauliflower rice. This will help soak up the delicious mushroom sauce and make for a filling and satisfying meal.
No matter how you choose to serve this keto mushroom chicken, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks in the freezer.
It’s what keeps us encouraged to keep sharing and perfecting our recipes.
Also, check out our Amazon Store for our recommendations. You might be surprised by how many great keto options are at your disposal.
Join Our Jesus And Keto Movement
Our family came to the keto diet looking at it from a Christian perspective; it’s the filter we choose to see from.
When we decided to combine our Christian faith and the keto diet, we did so in hopes of finding lasting transformation.
To say we needed God’s intervention is putting it mildly. When we followed the Holy Spirit’s lead to embrace the ketogenic diet and combine it with our faith, we got on the path to fundamental transformation.
If you are looking for a Christian group that is using the keto diet to transform their lives, we invite you to join our Private Facebook Group and see if it’s not the key you have been missing.
Grab Our Books!
It’s my prayer these keto cookbooks will help make keto a delicious breeze for you.
Be sure to request our FREE Jesus and Keto E-Book (First 7 Days). We hope it blesses you.
Fittoservegroup Keto App
Looking for a fast way to access our keto recipes? We got you covered. There’s an app for that. Yup, there’s a Fit To Serve Group App and it’s going to make your keto diet a delicious breeze!
Access hundreds of recipes that are all sugar-free, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Enjoy early access to recipes before they go live on the website. Plus, bonus recipes that are exclusive to the app. Make your own personal cookbooks that you can use to organize your favorite recipes.
Search recipes by title, ingredients, keywords, and categories, and of course, every recipe shows complete nutritional facts.
Get the Fit to Serve Group App for easy-to-follow keto recipes made with easy-to-source ingredients.
The app is loaded with hundreds of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and even desserts!
Learn more by visiting our Fit To Serve Group App Page.
- 3 large chicken breasts halved horizontally and seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of finely milled almond flour
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
Keto Mushroom Sauce
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms ( I used baby Bella mushrooms)
- 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Begin by cutting each chicken breast in half horizontally for a total of 6 chicken pieces.
- Using a meat mallet or the smooth side of a cook's knife, pound each breast piece to equal thickness,
- In a small shallow bowl, combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, Italian spices, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder for the bread coating and set it aside.
- In another small shallow bowl, whisk the whole egg with the water for the egg wash.
- Next, carefully coat the breast on both sides with the egg wash, dip the chicken cutlets into the breadcrumb mixture, lay the chicken in the coating, turn it over, and press the chicken breasts into the breading to coat well. Then shake off the excess breading.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Cook each chicken breast for about two minutes without turning until lightly golden brown. Then flip the chicken and cook until equally brown on the other side, about two minutes more. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. Transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set it aside.
- Proceed to make the mushroom sauce.
- To make the sauce, in the same pan you cooked the chicken, add the unsalted butter over medium-high heat and cook the mushroom slices and garlic for a few minutes until they are golden brown, and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Next, add the chicken broth and heavy cream to deglaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan to help get all the brown bits.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Cook the sauce for 5-7 minutes, until it thickens slightly, then stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Once the sauce has thickened, return the chicken breast to the sauce and serve with fresh chopped parsley.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze for up to three weeks in the freezer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 33.2gSaturated Fat: 18.1gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 520mgCarbohydrates: 5.9gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1.9gSugar: 2.8gProtein: 31g